Hello from Guam--new to board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello again. Sorry its been a while since I posted, I've been busy--I did the American Cancer Society Relay for Life this weekend--man I'm tired. First I'll answer Scubabunny, then Mario.

Scubabunny-- I'm not sure what beach you are refering to, but I can tell you I've done Gabgab a lot and Cemetary Wall (the one in Agat right by the graveyard). I want to find the sunken Amtrack. Where in Maryland are you from? I am from Delaware, but my family moved to Maryland a few years ago--to Georgetown, the one on the Eastern Shore--not the one near D.C.

I like MDA a lot. I only went on one dive with your guys so far, but my husband and I plan on donig several more. My husband an I already agreed that you guys run the best boats on island. Other places treat us second class to the Japanese tourists--once we got on the boat first and set up our gear and were asked to move. We thought, that's OK, I guess we are in the Divemaster's spot. Then, after we moved, they asked us to move again and then another time! Then the tourist showed up and we got out of the way. Can you believe the crew moved our gear AGAIN! But that's other places, like I said, I really like MDA. I like the way you check divers in and out of the boat and the dive briefs. I need to get your guy's June boat calendar. We are signing up on June 1st for that 5 star club too.

As for our dive tomorrow at Two Lovers Point, it is with another company--a boat dive to a wall near Two Lovers Point. I didn't see anything about it in any of the "Dive Guam" books I have, so I'll have to get more info from the shop.

Mario--hello in San Diego! Both my husband and I were certified by Ralph and Kathleen Stogsdall. We learned basic from Lonnie Sharp (part of Ralph's group), Advanced from Kathleen, Master Diver from Malcolm Smith (again part of that group of instructors), Nitrox and Basic Wreck Diving from Lonnie Sharp (again). Do you know any of them? We also hung out other divers, but it would take me forever to list them all. What group or sore are you associated with? I probably saw you a lot at the Shores since I loved diving there (yeah, I am one of the few who likes the Shores--I also like the Cove a lot too). I used to go to the Channel Islands once a month too--they are still my favorite dive spot in the world (even more so than Guam, but it is a close tie with these nice WWII wrecks out here).

Dive safely, Caron

Take care everyone.

I see Ralph and Kathleen all the time.. actually Kathleen is always at the beach... and who could miss the pink DUI drysuit. I've been out to the Channel Islands with them as well. They're a great couple. Do they still have a bazillion dogs?

Most likely we have been in the water at the same time. And most likely we'll be there again. Looking forward to it!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

As far as I know, Ralph and Kathleen are always on the Encore--so you must have taken a few Encore trips. I bet you know Malcolm Smith too--he was my Master Diver Instructor. And if you remember Lonnie Sharp, he was my Nitrox and Basic Wreck instructor. Small world huh?

Oh, Scubabunny, if you are still here, I I signed up for MDA's club this weekend. I think my husband and I are going on a lot of your guy's trips next month--esp the two wreck divers specials late this June.

Hey Caron,

Cool! Then I will probably see you on the boats! Would you believe I haven't even checked out the June boat schedule yet? Guess I really should do that...

As for Piti channel..you know where the power plant is on Marine Drive? Turn there...go past the Seaman's club..and go the the bridge (actually, you can't tell its a bridge from the road..you just have to park across from the power plant and look over the side). In the daytime, you can see the channel weaving its way to the reef. There is a little path to walk down at the beginning of the bridge. There is usually a slight current when they open up the gates to let the water into the plant (they only use it for cooling..the water never gets "hurt".) but thats why so many cool critters are there. Like I said, in the daytime its nothing but urchins and sea cucumbers..but at night it really comes alive!

Have you done Gun Beach yet? That is an awesome dive..especially this time of year. A few months ago getting in was a bit challanging to us spoiled Guam divers (waves and surge and such) but now, from what I hear, it is like glass. Definitely something to check out!

Oh...I'm originally from Cumberland Maryland. Head up route 68 (but don't go to Penn.) and you will find it up in the mountains. Never dreamed of diving until I came here, although there is a dive shop up at Deep Creek Lake (Garrett county) which I plan to check out on my next trip home. The things I miss most are fall (colors and smell) and temp. UNDER 75degrees! Snow would be nice at christmas..but thats the ONLY time I miss it!

If you ever need anything at MDA, just ask for Hope!

To Gasman and keralucu,
(particularly Gasman) get your hand off it would ya?
Actually, now that I think about it, do you realise that if we combine your wordsmanship (ha, eat your heart out Oxford Dictionary)and my finely tuned business sense, we can start a new Aussie/NZ dive lingo cult and embezzle millions...no...billions out of our followers (picture me with my pinky against the edge of the mouth - directly from Austin).
And then we can rule the world just like Dennis Hopper in Waterworld. Quality flick that was...

Let's do it, Boz! But I have to correct you on one small matter, Dr Evil... I believe the phrase "Cheers, Big Ears" originated in the UK. (What do you have to say about that??)

:p
Cheers.... ach! said it again!

To Kuralucu,
having just consulted my personal historian, Dr Frederick Powers III, of Evil University Evilshire England, I can tell you that you are absolutelly correct.
Bravo, old boy!
The phrase "Cheers, Big Ears" was conceived by English Noblemen who felt that a daily greeting should reflect their stature and importance in the social structure. However, being infamous for their buckled teeth and extremely small testicles, the only Big part they could refer to were their ears ( see Prince Charles).
So well done, hoots to you and you get a cookie before bed.

Ta ta now...

Boz

Guys, I sure hope noone is offended by the... ah... colorful language. For the record, I'm being thoroughly entertained and am willing to suffer the consequences of the joy. Let's just make sure it doesn't get outta hand eh fellas. :wink:

Errr.... colourful language? Does testicles qualify as colourful? Ok, we'll keep it under control, boss-Mario....

Boz - and seeing as Aussies & Kiwis were originally all from the UK anyway....(hehe) I feel this collaboration should be UK(first)/Aussie then NZ. But I suppose as it was your idea, Dr E, we could put Oz first in the title.

Speaking of Oz, you're in Sydney, right? A friend of mine just sent me several pics of Sydney taken on Wednesday morning when it was completely fogged over. I couldn't believe it - I never saw fog, ever, not in the 4 years I lived in Sydney. It was incredible. Whereabouts do you live - were you affected by it?

Gotta run - going south for a quickie diving trip this weekend, and there's still lots of work to finish up.

Have a good one, y'all.

To Mario - sorry, didn't realise that the t-word was rude, will comply...

To Keralucu - what does this name mean, and, no offence, are you a boy, or a girl, or in between... :) sorry, having been brainwashed by the army, I am getting confused by Keralucu and Alison, I'm not quite following who I am on the line with. If you could clarify this for me and send me some pictures :) t'would be much appreciated...oh no, I've just done myself in with Mario again. But that wasn't rude, just a bit of bubblie club humour. Anyway, nice chatting with you. How did you manage to live in the greatest land of all and get to travel around?
Boz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom