Hello from Brooklyn NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConeyIslander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!

Really glad I found this site as I have started to re-engage with diving. Just reading some of the threads before actually joining has already provided a wealth of information that I was sort of acquiring in bits from all over the net - but here it is next level and all under one roof.

I am an AOW diver since 1994. Back then I was doing a lot of local diving off of friends boats and I did a bunch of dive package vacations to Caribbean and Fla. I stopped diving locally after about five or six years and eventually my diving experiences tapered down to mostly a day or two of diving as part of non dive focused vacations a few times a year. By then I stopped using my own equipment and exclusively rented.

About 15 years ago I started to vacation in Asia annually, I would travel around for a 4-6weeks, and I engaged in the same sort of a couple of days diving here and there when available, This past year I retired and spent the winter in Thailand where I did my first live aboard (The Junk), did a lot of other diving as well and I also got Rescue Diver Certified. I am now considering a DM program next year in Phuket. This past year I was even able to convince my GF to get her OW certification, and now she has all that new diver enthusiasm.

We are presently looking at getting some new equipment (I have lots of questions) and have our next two dive vacations booked. At the end of May we are going to Roatan and in December we are going Raj Ampat on the Samambaia, as part of a bigger trip that will take us into the Andaman for some more dives.

Looking forward to connecting with you here

Welcome. Have you tried diving Coney? Last year there were a couple of days with the NYPD divers. Apparently, they found the body and car keys but just never the head.

Yes, I have dived all over Coney from Sea Gate (Nortons Point) to Manhattan Beach. I have been in the water all through out Jamaica Bay from the Rockaway jetty all the way east. Its been years as I mentioned in my intro but I used to love diving here.

we should hook up, then. I am out there with the fam pretty much every weekend. We set up at Bay 10.

Welcome to SB.

There is a dive club training session in Far Rockaway Beach 8 St this Saturday

Hello back from a Brooklynite (Brooklyner? Brooklynoan?) living in Mexico.

What gear specifically are you looking to get? Happy to answer any questions, talking for (almost certainly) longer than you’re willing to stay awake.

PM or goggle XOC-Ha for my email.

Also, if you’re looking to dive a little in Coney: the Aquarium has a volunteer dive team. Might check that out, too!

Thank you all for the warm greetings!!!

BoundforElsewhere- I usually walk the the beach or boards most weekends (even in the winter) and sit down by SG when the weather is nice. I would love to stop by and say hi. I am not sure how enthusiastic I would be dropping into the cold NYC waters again, but I still have my Bare farmer John wet suit that I bought years ago at Harveys. It would be in stark contrast to what I have become accustomed to- lol.

OYA- As for new equipment I am not a techie guy but my GF loves reading, learning, and shopping. And is using my renewed interest in diving as an excuse to get me a bunch of nice stuff- it started with a Shearwater Peregrine which she got me before we left for Thailand in December. I love it, more than meets my needs. As soon as we got home, now that she is certified and going to be diving, she claimed that as her own and surprised me with a Peridix AI. I have not used it yet but it seems nice and I like the compass feature. Very similar set up to the Peregrine. Frankly the jury is still out on the Peridix wrist strap but I will see, I liked the big chunky rubber wrist band of the Peregrine.

I didn't really want new equipment I was content to rent but when planning our trip to Roatan in May, they only had the full foot fins to rent which I hate when doing multiple days of repetitive diving - so I thought I would bring my old Tusa Liberators and booties with me but I wanted to replace the heal strap with stretch rubber ones. I was happy with that and renting the rest. Even so a new pair of Avanti Quattros arrived, my GF had other ideas. Next came the ScubaPro MK25 Evo paired with an A700 regulator and S270 octo. I asked to hold up but she had already ordered a ScubaPro Definition 2.5mm shorty. So thats what I have so far- I do need a new BCD (I have no Idea yet) and from what I am reading here on the board for Raj I may want a full 3mm wetsuit (perhaps a ScubaPro Everflex Steamer or a Henderson Aqulock or the Bare Velocity- not really sure).

We are staying at the Paradise Beach Hotel. I booked it through PADI Travel. I am not sure who the dive operator is I am guessing they are onsite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom