Hello from Berkeley, CA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meggomac

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody! My name is Meghan, and I am a student at UC Berkeley studying Environmental Sciences and Justice & Sustainability. I'm originally from the midwest but I'm here for the next few years to finish up undergrad. I'm certified open water scuba and free diver level 1.

I was seriously thinking about buying a wetsuit but I've been conflicted over what kind to get. I know that scuba and freediving suits are different because of the open cell aspect. I'm definitely looking for versatility and durability, and further, wetsuits that fit well for women! I got certified at in California with a 7mm (with hood) for free diving but I can't remember what the thickness of the wetsuit was for my scuba certification back home. Does anybody have any suggestions about what kind of wetsuit to purchase? Or specific wetsuit recommendations?

Also, I would really like to continue practicing free diving with a buddy, and I've been trying some apnea walks etc. Any suggestions for practicing skills on land? Does anybody know any water bodies near Berkeley that are good for free diving? I know there's Lake Berryessa and Monterey Breakwater but both are kind of far away especially because I don't have car here :(

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Welcome! I went to high school in Cleveland and came to California for college, so a somewhat similar path. Still trying to get used to how cold the Pacific is compared to the Atlantic...

Not a freediver, or a lady, but my scuba wetsuit is an Aqualung Solafx 8/7mm semi-dry, though I think most people have either a 7 or a drysuit. I got mine nearly new on Craiglist for less than half of retail. I have also heard good things about the custom wetsuits at Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey, though obviously those are much pricier than off-the-rack.

There are 10 East Bay Regional Park District lakes that allow swimming. Not sure about the ones near Berkeley, but you can search by lake swimming on their Park Finder. Shadow Cliffs has 20-ft deep waters pretty easily available from shore, as deep as 40 in the holes, but you'd need a boat or a kayak for that. Also, looks like it's two hours each way by transit. But hopefully there's one closer to home.

Welcome! I went to high school in Cleveland and came to California for college, so a somewhat similar path. Still trying to get used to how cold the Pacific is compared to the Atlantic...

Not a freediver, or a lady, but my scuba wetsuit is an Aqualung Solafx 8/7mm semi-dry, though I think most people have either a 7 or a drysuit. I got mine nearly new on Craiglist for less than half of retail. I have also heard good things about the custom wetsuits at Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey, though obviously those are much pricier than off-the-rack.

There are 10 East Bay Regional Park District lakes that allow swimming. Not sure about the ones near Berkeley, but you can search by lake swimming on their Park Finder. Shadow Cliffs has 20-ft deep waters pretty easily available from shore, as deep as 40 in the holes, but you'd need a boat or a kayak for that. Also, looks like it's two hours each way by transit. But hopefully there's one closer to home.

Yes, I've heard that semidry or is the way to go in norcal. I'll have to check out the regional park district lakes! Thanks!!

Welcome !

Wet suits are a very individual thing, whilst i may be perfectly fine in specific weather conditions with a 3mm suit someone else might need a 5 or a 7, its very hard to generalize it, every person is different.

It also depends on the usual weather that you are diving in (im assuming its warm because its California ) so you might even be fine with your free dive suit.

I think the best way to go around this is to have a try at various types of suits to see what works best for you.

Happy diving!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Agree with responses above.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. If you are looking for a wetsuit, you might want to look into Truli wetsuits. I don't know if they will meet your needs, but it can't hurt to look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom