Hello From Arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Im new to diving infact i do my first pool session Thursday. I can't tell you all how excited I am to becoming a new diver. My wife thinks im crazy i've read the manual about four times now and starting my fifth I just want to know the material forwards and backwards. I get a smile form ear to ear every time i think of the adventures my new found passion will take me. Damn can't wait till Thursday:D AND ITS ONLY MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've come to the right place, as virtually everyone on the board feels the same way. Welcome to the board and enjoy your pool session. It's something you'll remember for the rest of your life!

You are gonna luv it!

:) Hi Blue Space
Welcome to SCUBA. I to am from Arizona. I am curious as to which school or store you are going through.

My instructor is Stan Hormell he is a Firefighter/Peramedic for the Chandler Fire department and a PADI Instructor in his spare time. I believe he had most of his training done at El Mar in Mesa. So I went there to ask some questions and he passed with flying colors and came highly recomended even though they had nothing to gain. Which also said alot about the dive store. I even got a 10% discount on gear for being a student so I loaded up. Mares Quattro Fins, Sherwood Magnum Mask and DeepSea Booties. So far i have had one class session which covered chapters 1 through 3. Thursday is 4 and 5 then the pool, pool again then the lake. CANT WAIT

On my flight yesterday back from my cruise to the Caribbean on the final leg from Phoenix to LAX I met this nice older gentleman with tatooes all over his arms legs and back of hammerheads, turtles, dolphins, sea-horses and reefs. This begged me to ask "you must love the ocean". He said yes I'm a dive instructor. "No way" was my response, "me too".

As soon as the conversation had switched gears to diving an older woman that was listening in piped up apparently she had a son nearly die during his first open water certifcation dive. Of course that whole section of the plane quieted down to listen to the sensationalism of our "life-risking deadly x-game of a sport." Turns out he apparently held his breath while ascending and suffered a double lung rupture and several air embolisms. Fortunately the doctors saved him. She said "He's taken up much safer sports like skydiving and helicopter skiing. The rest of the plane blew into a roar of laughter. Of course his cause of injury caused divers from several rows away who were also returning from tropical vacations where they were just diving to parrot out - the number one rule in scuba diving - "breath continuously and never hold your breath".

At one point we identified at least 5 people in the first 3 rows that were all certified divers or higher ranking. The 1 hour flight went by very fast and everyone was laughing and cracking jokes and telling stories. And it all started with a tatooed Arizona instructor ...

Just thought I'd share the story. I asked the instructor where he teaches he said freshwater mostly, but they take all of their students to Mexico for final check-out dives. Anyway I invited the instructor while he was in town to give me a call and drive down to the laguna area and we'd do some diving.

Welcome to the scuba board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom