Hello from Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johncn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

This site is great resource I've used in the past, although it's my first time joining.

My daughter finally got certified after she turned 12 in May, and has blown some bubbles down in Florida to get ready for a family dive trip the Philippines. My son has been diving a few years now, so we can all go now.

Although my wife and I dived and lived in Micronesia, Indonesia and various other places, we've never made the trip to the PI. And my wife is originally from Bacoor, Cavite. Go figure.

Also, I just realized that our old dive buddy from Fiji, Rota and Florida Keys is a regular here who is heading to the PI in a few weeks: Mr. Blues.

I can promise you an extensive trip report in January when I return from the Philippines...including field reports if I can get connected periodically.

In the meantime I'm here to pick everyone's brains on places to stay and dive in Bohol, Dumaguete / Dauin, Siquijor Island, and perhaps Puerto Galera.

Looking forward to learning from you all, and giving something back.

Regards,

Johncn

Welcome Johncn.

I'm fairly new here myself and as a matter of fact recently moved from Fairbanks to the Seattle area.

Welcome to the board. I've always been curious about diving in Alaksa. Do you do local dives?

happywave.gif
Hi Johncn and Welcome to :sblogo:

Welcome Aboard!! Dive right in and have some fun!

Thanks, folks.

I don't dive in Alaska, actually....as I'm a cold water wimp.

I did, however, try it a 3mm wetsuit in the Aleutians one spring when I was a school principal and we needed anenomes and samples for a big saltwater aquarium. This was a very brief experience during which I could not get my chest muscles to relax enough to breathe regularly ;-)

I can tell you that Atka Island is gorgeous underwater...more colorful than I imagined, great viz, kelp forests, but lots of things I associated with warm water. We would even find cold water CORALS out there. That is very close to where they found the WW II sub last week that was in the papers.

Diving is popular up here, and there are at least four dive shops in Anchorage. I'm just too much of a wuss to enjoy it.

I've already received some great tips from folks on the Philippines, and will start to organize what I'm finding out for a big post in January.

Johncn

Thanks for the link...we actually tried to get a reservation there, but the one we wanted was already booked for our dates.:(

Did you have a good time in PG?

Regards,

Johncn

smilies-35311.png

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

don
bananawave.gif

Back
Top Bottom