Hello everybody!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Christo! I really hope someday to dive in Cyprus. Dreams are free, after all... :) I wonder about your diving experiences in Denmark...How are the waters there? (I suppose that dry suits are necessary for the most part of the year)

Diving in DK made me appreciate the waters of Volos which i always thought they are nothing special and boring.
Here the visibility is good if you can see 4-5m, there is too much sea weed, the water is at best 21 degrees (for 1-2 days per year :p ), shore dives are about 4-5m deep but the wind after you come out from the dive is the worst thing! Absolutely freezing.

I only started diving here 2 months ago. I just bought my drysuit, it is really needed here. Especially for Greeks that we are used to 29 degrees water.

I am amazed though of how many people are diving here. And i heard there are a lot of wrecks but haven't been in any yet. I guess 20-30m dive here will be way too cold with a 5mm wetsuit and a 3mm vest :confused:

Edit: I forgot to tell you that soon all dives will be night dives, as we will get the sun for about 5 hours. Good thing i got my night dive specialty this summer :p

Diving in DK made me appreciate the waters of Volos which i always thought they are nothing special and boring.
Here the visibility is good if you can't see any see 4-5m, there is too much sea weed, the water is at best 21 degrees (for 1-2 days per year :p ), shore dives are about 4-5m deep but the wind after you come out from the dive is the worst thing! Absolutely freezing.

I only started diving here 2 months ago. I just bought my drysuit, it is really needed here. Especially for Greeks that we are used to 29 degrees water.

I am amazed though of how many people are diving here. And i heard there are a lot of wrecks but haven't been in any yet. I guess 20-30m dive here will be way too cold with a 5mm wetsuit and a 3mm vest :confused:

Edit: I forgot to tell you that soon all dives will be night dives, as we will get the sun for about 5 hours. Good thing i got my night dive specialty this summer :p
Wow... Just amazing...But let me ask you something: Apart from technical and/or wreck divers, what is the motive for the vast majority to dive under such circumstances? Why should someone dive in murky and chilling waters?

Wow... Just amazing...But let me ask you something: Apart from technical and/or wreck divers, what is the motive for the vast majority to dive under such circumstances? Why should someone dive in murky and chilling waters?
when all one has is murky cold water to dive, that's what we dive, not all of us are strictly vacation divers or clear warm water divers. I have over 150 dives. 14 of them are in the bahamas/carribean, the rest are in visibilty less than 30 feet.

As Jay said, it's all we have here. So if you want to be "in touch" with diving that's what you have to do.
I think it is really good training for your boyancy (as the max you can go is 5m, so you learn to play with your breathing), being close to your buddy (as sometimes the visibility is 0.5m) and always be on alert (never though i would say that in 5m depth but we lost a diver 2 weeks ago :/ ).

All in all, you work with what you have and in the end there is always a surprise down there for you :)

Hello Antonios and welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences in Greece. We are planning a trip to Santorini and Myconos end of April next year, so I'm looking forward to some diving around there.

Back
Top Bottom