Hello (echo, echo, echo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure. You're right, its been absolutely dead. Even the local diving club, here, seems to be in death throws here. I would say a big part is the sluggish economy & partially the time of year, not many cold water/ weather divers around.

Hey youall, I never scuba dove in KY but grew up in Louisville and now dive in Alaska for the last 25 years. I was in Rawick Ky in August and you know it was miserable hot. Anyway I am diving here all year long and under ice if need be. If you are at all interested I can give you some reccomendations on what I found works to dive water at least down to 38 degrees and stay toasty warm. I love diving and am skinny so I like to stay cozy and not the least distracted by cold. FYI you can stay warm in 38 deg water for many hours if you like.

Robert

There are a few cold water divers here, but not many. Cold & fresh water diving just doesn't appeal to many people around here. Most want warm water & pretty fish, that you don't typically find that in a quarry, lake or strip mine pit. I do dive year round, even in the winter. I find that the cold water helps me to refine my skills & keeps them sharp. The other thing that holds people back, some, is the difficulty in getting to the water. Many of the commercial operations, that have any facilities, shut down during the winter months. & you have to have a minimum number of divers to get them opened up, & then, only by appointment. Having tried this several times, I can say it is nearly impossible to get enough people together to get the places opened up. It's not that it is not there, it is just the general interest is not there.

I would personally appreciate any tips you can give to make the diving more bearable. I dive dry with multiple undergarments of varying thicknesses (from 150 gm- 650gm). When diving cold water, I change out my wrist seals with dry gloves (Zip Seals). I wear a thick hood. I typically dive double cylinders & a bail out for redundancy. I will admit, my regulators really are not the best for cold water diving (high performance), but I have learned to dial back the adjustment knob & how to breathe off of them to prevent a freeze up & free flow & typically have no problems with them. When I get out of the water, I have a portable propane heater set up in the very drafty changing rooms. It really does not warm it up, but does knock the chill off. Yes any ideas, I'm open to.

Back
Top Bottom