Hello and looking for Maui/Kona dive shop recos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi! Just joined ScubaBoard and am excited to learn from all of you! I'd consider myself a novice diver with only 28 dives over past 6years, all while on vacation in Cozumel and Cancun. I just got Nitrox certified but haven't dove with it yet. I'm retired now and looking forward to more diving, both local and vacation spots.

My husband (experienced diver) and I are headed to Maui and Kona last 2 weeks of April 2018. We have our own equipment (except tanks and weights). We are looking for dive shop and dive site recommendations. Would prefer a more intimate experience and may also be interested in a class like Peak Performance Buoyancy. We would love to do a Manta night dive and Molokini crater back wall and other recos ????

Thank you for your recommendations!

You might like Mike Severns Diving for Molokini. The backwall is not a guarantee - often they don't know until they get out there. Some of the dive staff are naturalists which allows for a more interesting briefing and dive. They - as do most Molokini boats - leave from the Kihei Boat Ramp. They like to get out there first so leave around 6AM or when everyone shows up.

On Maui the "big" boats are owned by Lahaina Divers and Maui Dive Shop. LD sends a boat ro Molokini from Lahaina every other day which saves the early drive (45 min) down to Kihei if you're staying near Lahaina/Ka'anapali.

Do check out the Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alea if in the area - sometimes they have a small Tiger Shark in the big tank.Check out the shore diving also - many sites are sandy beach entries. If you want a guide - in West Maui try Tiny Bubbles in Ka'anapali, South Maui either Shaka Divers or Maui Dreams Dive Co. Some site info: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

On Kona - Kona Diving Company if you're staying near Kona/Kailua. Besides being a good choice:
KDC was founded in 2010 with the goal of providing an intimate, personal diving experience with unparalleled standards of service
Besides the Manta Night dive at some of the sites south of Kona often Spinner Dolphins will show up.. A buddy dove with about 200 once.

Last edited:
Mike Severn's for sure! Pauline and AJ along with the rest of the staff are AWESOME! It's a sure thing in my opinion as well. Wonderful and passionate about diving!

Kona Diving Company on Kona. Was there a few years ago and will be using them on an upcoming trip. The instruction was exceklent

often Spinner Dolphins will show up

One of my diving highlights in Kona. Hundreds!!

Jack's Diving Locker in Kona. Safety oriented, nice staff, nice boats, have all of the extra dives to do like the Manta night dive or snorkel, and also have the instructional courses.

+1 on Mike Severns. Great crew, and very knowledgeable about the marine life around Maui. I also like Ed Robinson's a lot, although they cater to more experienced divers IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom