Hello and First dive site recommendations for my kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As far as me I've been a vacation diver for 14 years and have 64 dives. Trained in California off Laguna Beach and have been diving the caribbean every other year on vacation since we moved back to St Louis in 2005.

My 10 and 12 year old boys are getting certified as we speak. Their open water dives will be in a quarry here in the mid west next month. We are coming to Florida for their first ocean dives ever and I'm looking for recommendations. What would be your pick for first dive sites to take two brand new open water juniors on in Florida.

Looking for easy currents, great visibility, and great first impressions to inspire a life long love of diving. Lots of marine life would be a huge plus.

We are looking at driving in from St Louis if were going to dive the Pan Handle or north of Orlando. Or we can fly into Orlando if diving south of Orlando.

Grant Carruthers

To inspire the boys, I'd avoid the panhandle, and for easy diving, I'd avoid the East Coast of FL.
Get to the Keys, Key Largo is fine. Fly to FLL and rent a car to drive down.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I agree on Key Largo. RR is good with newer divers too.

Another non-ocean dive is Devils Den in Williston or a drift dive down the Rainbow River. Both have very clear spring water and would probably be a lot of fun for younger divers

If you are driving down from Orlando to Rainbow Reef, also check the tide tables and maybe stop at Blue Heron Bridge on the way.

+1 on the keys, easy diving, many shallow reef sites, and a few wrecks at the deeper end of their range, for the end of the trip if all is going well.

If it would help to see an old trip report showing what a dive trip to Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center might look like - Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

It's what I'd aim for, especially with the relatively shallow recommended depth limit on really young divers. If it's like it was my trip, plenty of fish life, some fairly big animals (e.g.: green morays, barracuda, grouper), a chance to see reef sharks... The viz. was not on par with the Caymans or Bonaire, but it was plenty good enough.

Richard.

Water starts to clear up from Stuart south but you'll likely be dealing with currents and thus drift dives. Pennekamp in Key Largo is where I did my OW and I'll jump on that bandwagon. Lots of great dive ops there so don't feel that Rainbow Reef is your only option (it is a very good one though). And yes, if you're driving down with your gear, Blue Heron Bridge @ Phil Foster Park can be exceptional but you have to catch high tide.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom