Hello All!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roteri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings all;

I met Wrinkles while picking up a license today. Right before her cell rang and her buddies told her to hurry up! :wink: Anyhow, she told me about this board and I checked it out immediately. Didn't know it was even here! This is a great tool for local divers to meet and plan.

My name is Robert, 33 yrs young. I live in Simi Valley and dive from SB to LA beach and boat. I'm AOW and on my may to DM. My current buddy is an instructor at the "Beast" in West Hills (Sport Chalet). We try to dive every weekend, mostly beach.

I'm looking forward to getting involved and meeting some of you! :D

Robert

cool, welcome to the board, it is an addictive place with some great information and arguments. Have fun.

HI there.....

I am glad you fond the site.

How did your lobster dive go?

We had great condition with almost 30 ft viz at our spot. Saw some lobster but were not able to exaclty catch them. I had a great time though and saw some horn sharks, rays, and schools of fish.

All in all a fun dive.

Ana

Welomce to ScubaBoard!

There are lots of great people and tons of information you can access! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Kimber

Ana;
I'm glad your dive went well. I wish I could say the same for ours. We tried Escondito at about 7:30; yuck, nothing there. We then went to Neptune's Net and ate. We ended up at Deer Creek after that and the conditions were so-so. 10-15' vis, rough surf.

The dive was going ok, until one of the women on the dive started to have problems. It was her first beech dive, and night dive (mistake). She brought her sister along who also had never done a beach dive or night dive. I buddied up with one of them for the entry and my regular buddy took the other. The entry was pretty ordinary. Once we got 150 meters out we decided to descend... to a whopping 13'! The surge was 5-6'. The girl that was with my buddy became disorientated or something and began to panic. This happened just as I saw a pretty good size bug too! We all surfaced to see if she could be calmed down. She wanted nothing to do with it, and wanted to exit. All 4 of us began the surface swim back. The plan was to exit and try again with just 2 of us, my experienced buddy and me.

The exit was a nightmare! All 4 of us got tumbled. The exit would have been tough enough if we didn't have to drag some one through the surf. But alas, the inexperienced needed help. My buddy lost his mask during one of the rides and the girl he was helping swallowed a gallon of water. Once we got to the shore she started to vomit and wasn't doing too hot. I decided that enough was enough and called it a night.

Lesson learned: If some one has 60 logged dives and has never done a beach dive or night dive, then a Beach-Night dive is a bad place to start.

And thanks to all for the warm welcome. :D

roteri:
...Lesson learned: If some one has 60 logged dives and has never done a beach dive or night dive, then a Beach-Night dive is a bad place to start.

:D
Welcome to the board. It is a great place to be. Another good website is http://www.sandeaters.org.

Good lesson learned. Add one new sill at a time and no more until the existing set of skills is mastered. Beach diving takes additional skill and night diving requires competence in the basic diving skills as the dark can be disorienting. Night diving is a harder beach dive because you cannot see the swells as well or as far out to help you time your entry.

Add to that the condition with a storm coming in and your target (lobsters) which are often found in shallow waters, well that makes for a surge filled dive and becoming ill can happen. I chummed the water through my regulator for the first time yesterday on a day dive due to a lot of swell,... and swirling sand, ...and eel grass… gently swaying… back…. And… forth....urph, :yuck: excuse me got to go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom