Helicopter crew rescues drifter - Miami Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I thought diving was closed in Florida?

U.S. Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin Helicopter Crew Rescues Missing Diver |
MIAMI, FLORIDA – The Coast Guard rescued a missing diver near Government Cut, Monday. They rescued Raul Amores, 50.

Coast Guard Sector Miami Command Center watchstanders received a call stating a diver was stranded in the water, and launched a Station Miami Beach small boat crew and an Air Station Miami helicopter to search.

A Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew found the diver half a mile offshore and vectored in a Coast Guard Station Miami Beach 33-foot Special Purpose Craft—Law Enforcement boat crew, who embarked the diver, and took him back to his 19-foot center console in good condition.

The diver reportedly stated the current was too strong and pulled him away from his vessel.

Miami-Dade Marine unit, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, and Miami-Dade Air Rescue assisted in the search.

“We are thankful we were able to successfully rescue Mr. Amores,” said Captain JoAnn Burdian, commander of Sector Miami. “That being said, at the time of this incident there were 25-mph wind gusts and a small craft advisory in effect.

This case serves as a reminder everyone the importance of practicing safe boating and diving practices. Monitor weather conditions before putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.”

You can go out on private vessels.

Sounds like he was "swept away from his vessel".

Plus it's Miami, they're essentially a 3rd world country.

Diving during a quarantine AND a small craft warning, 25mph winds with no one else on the boat. If he exposed the search and rescue to COVID, that's got to be some kind of Florida man bingo.

And natural selection really needs to move faster

Diving during a quarantine AND a small craft warning, 25mph winds with no one else on the boat. If he exposed the search and rescue to COVID, that's got to be some kind of Florida man bingo.

Does seem like he stacked a ton of stuff up against himself. Maybe he thought it was mini season?

Do they charge for this sort of thing in the US? I sure hope so. Article stated a small craft warning was in effect.

I thought diving was closed in Florida?
The state restrictions aren't that bad. Basically it's no rafting up, no more than 10 on a boat & people on the boats need to be 6 feet apart. The county level restrictions in my area are more restrictive. They have all boat ramps & docks closed except for commercial fishing boats that sell to markets & their support boats. Drift boats are specifically shut down. Commercial dive boats are specifically shut down. The county has clarified that the closure extends to private docks as well. Private boats are not supposed to go out, but I know people who have been going out fishing & have not been stopped. Also, a couple of weeks ago, I was given information from a local friend that was legally on the water about a diver that had been sucked under a boat about a mile south of LWI. That was on the second day of the closure, when dive boats were not supposed to be out. Not everyone has been respecting the restrictions.

I am a little north of Miami-Dade county, so the rules there are probably a bit different. They are generally under a heavier lock down than we are since they are a level 3 civid hot spot & we are not. My previous experience in Miami has been that the good ol' boys network there is very strong & connected people pretty much get to do what they want. That town is home to a lot of people that have senators on speed dial & a lot of people who hold positions of power in other countries. Key Biscayne in particular is home to a lot of people with diplomatic passports. The people who own nice boats in that area generally don't get bothered unless there is a very good reason to do so. I do not have first hand information on the specific individual in this story, but I would expect that in Miami the level of compliance is probably lower than it is here

Do they charge for this sort of thing in the US? I sure hope so. Article stated a small craft warning was in effect.
NOAA small craft advisories are just a notification. They are not legally binding on pleasure craft.

Dude, that sort of thing doesn't even rate on a slow Tuesday around here

Also, a couple of weeks ago, I was given information from a local friend that was legally on the water about a diver that had been sucked under a boat about a mile south of LWI. That was on the second day of the closure, when dive boats were not supposed to be out. Not everyone has been respecting the restrictions.
Yeah, there is a thread here about that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom