Helicopter crew rescues drifter - Miami Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad the river was rescued and survived. Hopefully learned a lesson and won't repeat this. You have to wonder about some people however.

Was he just randomly spotted, or did he have an emergency beacon?
Excerpting from another news source: Diver stranded off coast of Miami Beach rescued
"Rescuers spent an hour searching for Raul Amores, 62, after his friend called for help."

I can only guess that he had a friend on the boat who didn't dive with him, maybe didn't know how to pilot a boat, but had a cell phone and service. If the diver had a PLB and used it, it might have saved some time. I see it as a poorly planned dive. This source also gives his age as 12 years older than the other one stated.

Do they charge for this sort of thing in the US? I sure hope so. Article stated a small craft warning was in effect.

No.

He’d did something stupid, not illegal.

In the case of the USCG, they have to make training rescues if the real ones don’t give them enough flight time.

Do they charge for a similar rescue where you are?

No.

He’d did something stupid, not illegal.

In the case of the USCG, they have to make training rescues if the real ones don’t give them enough flight time.

Do they charge for a similar rescue where you are?
Not entirely certain, but I doubt it. Here people are more likely to need a search and rescue if they've gone off trail, whether hiking or skiing, than water sports.

Not entirely certain, but I doubt it. Here people are more likely to need a search and rescue if they've gone off trail, whether hiking or skiing, than water sports.

I don’t know where your here is, but here in Northern California there is need for both land and sea (ocean and river/delta) rescues depending on where you are and what you are doing.

As far as charging for rescue, I’m against it for a number of reasons, either make rescues or not. If it was caused by breaking the law then arrest them for the crime.

I don’t know where your here is, but here in Northern California there is need for both land and sea (ocean and river/delta) rescues depending on where you are and what you are doing.

As far as charging for rescue, I’m against it for a number of reasons, either make rescues or not. If it was caused by breaking the law then arrest them for the crime.
I googled a bit after I posted my response, and it is free (no mention of criminal charges for those who willfully go off bounds); however, SAR is operated by volunteers--at least that which I'm most familiar with: hiking or skiing issues.

I googled a bit after I posted my response, and it is free (no mention of criminal charges for those who willfully go off bounds); however, SAR is operated by volunteers--at least that which I'm most familiar with: hiking or skiing issues.
The USCG is a branch of the US military

The USCG is a branch of the US military
I'm writing about my province, as per my exchange w/ Bob, not your country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom