Heavier fins....loose some lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
My new fins are heavier than the old ones. I'll also be wearing thicker boots.

I'm going to weigh the old fins, and the new ones. Then I'm going take the difference and drop the same amount of lead. Sounds elementary. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Oh yeah....going from Akona Marathons to SP Jets w/spring straps

Skinsfan1311:
My new fins are heavier than the old ones. I'll also be wearing thicker boots.

I'm going to weigh the old fins, and the new ones. Then I'm going take the difference and drop the same amount of lead. Sounds elementary. Does that make sense?
It only makes sense if you weigh them underwater. Or better yet, compare the buoyancy of your old and new fin + boot combinations.

The amount of lead you can shed is the difference in buoyancy, not the difference of weight while above water.

Since you are going to thicker boots, you might actually come out behind, since the thicker boots will be more buoyant.

I'm not in the best shape so finning with 24Lb fins 12lb on each leg would get tiring.

It's not generally enough to change your buoyancy but it will change your trim.

Oh....and as Charlie said you need to measure the relative difference in buoyancy of the fins and not the weight of them.

Either way I'd assume the same weight as you always had but make a couple of dives to trim out in it and see if you need to relocate some weight.

R..

Whoa! I'm glad I posted. I hadn't even considered the buoyancy aspect.
Thanks for all the great replies. That's what makes this such a great board!

I recently switched from IST Talaria Splits to Yellow Apollo Bio-fins.

The two fins are almost exactly the same size and weigh the same (6.7# vs 6.8#) - but where the Talaria's float - the Apollo's sink.

In fact, I took 2 lbs off my belt using the Apollo's - using the same boots and wetsuit combination. So they do make a difference.

Jetfins affect my trim much more so than Biofins. Wearing a size L Jetfin with a 7 mm bootie, I had to add a 2lb weight to my tank band to correct my foot heavy trim. I was perfectly weighted with just the BP.

I also had to move about 2# up on my tank band when switching from the Talaria's to the Bio-fins - but still lost 2# overall.

Can't wait to see what adjustments I'll need to make this weekend when we go to the Keys and I get to dive with just a skin and 3mm boots.

The fun(?) of diving different configurations because you dive different locations. I'll probably get my weigthing and trim sorted out just in time to go home ... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom