Heating question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeorhiiP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone!
What do you think? Regarding heating undergarment Santi bz400... does it make sense to decrease heating power to 50% or 75%? Or 100% all the time feels ok? The water temperature varies between 13'C and 4'C

I have never ran any heated undergarment at 100% except for a few minutes to see if it worked. Heat controllers are pretty standard these days. Would not have it any other way.

Norwegian Diver here, running at similar temps.

I use a Santi flex heated vest, withe a battery that allows 70% or 100%.

I do appreciate the chance to use 70% output as 100% is occssionally too much. (I tend to only use heating while offgasing)

Norwegian Diver here, running at similar temps.

I use a Santi flex heated vest, withe a battery that allows 70% or 100%.

I do appreciate the chance to use 70% output as 100% is occssionally too much. (I tend to only use heating while offgasing)
Which battery do you use? Choosing one of bigger capacity.. I got 14ah but it gets drained in 30-40min at 75%..

I'm using the Ammonite 24AH package. I got no experience with other batteries, so I can't help compare.

I have the bz400 with Ammonite24ah, and I usually start at the 70% setting and go to 100 when I start feeling the cold again. 100% is not usually too warm, I just start at 70% to preserve battery as long as possible. The bz400 does not get as warm as the vest, since the suit is heating on a much larger area.
If you use Gralmarine heat-regulator, this has a constant-voltage output. That is very noticeable as your suit/vest will have full effect until your battery is empty. On my Ammonite-battery(and others without constant-voltage) the effect is noticeably lower when you reach 50% of the battery.

Hi everyone!
What do you think? Regarding heating undergarment Santi bz400... does it make sense to decrease heating power to 50% or 75%? Or 100% all the time feels ok? The water temperature varies between 13'C and 4'C

If you have a controller then you leave it on as low of a setting as possible for as long as possible. This minimizes your on-gas rate and when you start your ascent is when you start to turn it up to improve your off-gas rate.

When I'm diving in the real cold stuff with my UWLD controller I will usually have it off for descent/working portion of the dive *I don't really go into bloody cold water unless I have a specific job to do so I am generating heat on the bottom* if it's not much physical work then I will leave it on setting 1 just for warm fuzzies that it is on and working. When I start ascent I will turn it up one notch and keep turning up as necessary. I have 5 settings and since my 3-4 is comparable to everyone else's 5 in terms of heat output I can honestly say I've never had to turn it to 5. The UWLD is capable of pushing the full 13.6v that the fabric used in these vests is designed for where pretty much everyone else has an absolute maximum of ~12.6v at the vest start of the dive and closer to 11v when you are actually using it so 5 on the UWLD is used by guys diving under arctic ice in sub-zero waters but too hot for most if you have adequate undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom