Heated vests for moderately cool water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Thermolution vest under my drysuit. They are made to be used with wetsuits, as well. Never had any issues and know many people who use them. Suggest you look into them.

We wore semidry suits on that trip and were comfortable, even hot for some of the dives.

I have a Thermolution vest under my drysuit. They are made to be used with wetsuits, as well. Never had any issues and know many people who use them. Suggest you look into them.

Thanks, I looked at their website and they have a reasonably-priced model that does front and back heating. Hmmm...

We wore semidry suits on that trip and were comfortable, even hot for some of the dives.

How thick were your suits?

I have a Thermalution Yellow Plus with the back heating element. I think it's about 20 watts and it is quite expensive. IMO you should only buy one for wetsuit use with both front and back heating elements. Venture Heat sells them but I believe they're out of stock till June.

The ones with only the back heating are fine for drysuit but not good enough with wetsui.

On a liveaboard trip...I think you’re going to be extremely cold. Diving in those temps for a week in a 5 mm you’re going to be cold...

Part of the problem with this plan is running out of battery on a multidive day is going to put you into a "dive warm - deco cold" scenario which is very bad.

The second part is you are going to freeze between surfacing and getting changed from evaporative cooling.

A drysuit with thin undergarments is much more versatile than a $1000 heater. A thicker wetsuit or semidry is the next step down in desirability to me. The heater and a minimal wetsuit is the absolute worst option. You can patch a drysuit, a 5mm wetsuit plus 3mm vest is nearly impossible fail. A 3mm wetsuit with a broken heater is a ruined trip of a lifetime.

A 7mil suit is less expensive and more dependable than a heater. I dive very cold, near freezing water. I've forgotten to plug in my heat before, forgotten the battery pack, had charging issues, had a failure, etc. I've never forgot to put a suit on.

a 3mm will not be enough for the amount of diving you will be doing and i personally would not be spending the money on a heated vest just for a trip. but i am a cheap.

at the very least i would do a well fitted 5mm with a cold water hood and boots. maybe even some 3mm gloves. but seeing where you are from i doubt it would be enough for you. cold tolerance can vary widely.

as others suggested, a good 7mm semi dry would be more than enough.

i would only get a dry suit of you planned on using it for other purposes and not just this one trip. i have a scubapro 4mm compressed neoprene dry suit. that would probably be ideal. you might need a pee valve though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom