Heated undersuit under Thermocline/Sharkskin type suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arneu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For some of my dives a Fourth Element Thermocline suit would be perfect, for others I need a full 5mm wetsuit.

My idea is that I could get rid of the 5mm wetsuit (and weight) need by adding a heated undersuit under the Thermocline. Like this: Wireless Thermalution - Yellow Grade Plus - HeatedWetsuits.com

Anyone have views/experiences on a combination like this?

What water temps are you diving in? Run times?

Coldest dives: Typical 20-22C water temp at surface. Lowest temperature in computer log this year is 16C at depth. 1 hour dive typical. 2 per day.

Warmer dives: 27-29C water temp at surface. Liveaboard diving, eg. several dives per day for several days.

Is the weight you're carrying creating that much of an issue for you? What I see is for 749.00 your core will be nice and toasty, but getting down to your low end of 16C your extremities would start losing heat rather quickly as they're only protected by the sharkskin.

Sometimes it's just easier to have a couple different suits for different conditions. When I go to Mexico or Thailand, I bring my full length 3mm and a Lavacore shorty. The Lavacore is fine by itself for warmer open water rec dives with 27 - 30C surface temps. For cave diving in 22 - 25C water, I wear the Lavacore underneath my 3mm suit. It's kept me comfortable for 8 hours in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the weight you're carrying creating that much of an issue for you? What I see is for 749.00 your core will be nice and toasty, but getting down to your low end of 16C your extremities would start losing heat rather quickly as they're only protected by the sharkskin.
Very little weight when diving would be nice, but to not have to travel with a wetsuit was the more attractive part of it. As for the toasty/freezing, that was part of what I was wondering about with this combo. People with wetsuits seems to report that the heated undersuit warms water that circulates, so you get warmth over most of your body. But I'm assuming this effect is lower with sharkskin/thermocline.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2015 at 08:13 PM ----------

Sometimes it's just easier to have a couple different suits for different conditions. When I go to Mexico or Thailand, I bring my full length 3mm and a Lavacore shorty. The Lavacore is fine by itself for warmer open water rec dives with 27 - 30C surface temps. For cave diving in 22 - 25C water, I wear the Lavacore underneath my 3mm suit. It's kept me comfortable for 8 hours in the water.
Yeah, this exactly was my plan too. Before I read about the heated undersuit and got the idea that I might get rid of travelling (and diving) with wetsuit alltogether.. Unless I come across recommendations from people who have tried it, it most likely will be back to plan A :)

Very little weight when diving would be nice, but to not have to travel with a wetsuit was the more attractive part of it. As for the toasty/freezing, that was part of what I was wondering about with this combo. People with wetsuits seems to report that the heated undersuit warms water that circulates, so you get warmth over most of your body. But I'm assuming this effect is lower with sharkskin/thermocline.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2015 at 08:13 PM ----------

I highly doubt that you will get that effect with the sharkskin/thermocline as it's a bit different than neoprene.

My wife has the Thermalution Yellow Grade and (if you can believe it) dove with it under a 3mm in Cayman a few months ago (she tends to get cold in case that wasn't obvious). She absolutely loves the Thermalution and said it kept her very warm. In colder waters you still will need to have your extremities (hands and feet) properly addressed, but for her core and lower body, the Thermalution worked great (she hasn't had it in really cold water, but she only had to use the low/med settings in Cayman). Mind you though, it was a "standard" (i.e. neoprene) full wetsuit she used it with, but it should work well at least for your core with the thermocline too. YMMV

ive used the thermulation. its neat.

kind of an unnoticeable warm, which i think is good. the remote has a velcro strap which is ****ty, needs to be replaced with bungee.

cool product, a bit spendy, serves a purpose.

Back
Top Bottom