Heart Surgery & Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack66

New
Reaction score
I have had heart surgery almost 5 years ago now. Valve replacement (The Ross Procedure) no mechanical or pig valve. I am not on any anticoagulants or any other medications.
Would this disqualify me from learning to Scuba Dive?
Would an instructor refuse to train me?
What can I do to prove my fitness?

P.S. I am fit and healthy!

Any Comments would be appreciated

Jack

I'm sure the Dr.s here can better answer your question but I'd think if you had a thorough physical from a doctor experienced in the physical requirements of diving, was cleared by him/her and the paperwork signed...you'd be good to go.

You may also want to call DAN +1-919-684-2948

(Per Scubadoc website )

Valvular Surgery

Limitation of Response to Exercise

Artificial (prosthetic) cardiac valves create two important problems in divers and potential divers. In high output states related to exercise, there may be a significant gradient (pressure and turbulence) across the valve, and with high heart rates, the valve poppet may not open and close completely, thus aggravating the gradient or producing significant valve regurgitation (leakage).

Because of these limitations, patients who have prosthetic cardiac valves should not dive. However, individual exceptions for carefully constrained sport diving can be made. The use of center opening valves, including heterograft valves with tissue leaflets that open with larger orifices and have less mass, provides the possibility for greater cardiac output and, therefore, greater exercise capacity.
=============================
(Per PADI's Medical Release)
CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEMS
Relative Contraindications: The diagnoses listed below potentially render the diver unable to meet the exertional performance
requirements likely to be encountered in recreational diving. The diagnoses listed may lead the diver to experience cardiac ischemia
and its consequences. Formalized stress testing is encouraged if there is any doubt regarding physical performance capability. The
suggested minimum criteria for stress testing in such cases is 13 METS. Failure to meet the exercise criteria is disqualifying. Condi-tioning
and retesting may make later qualification possible.
• History of CABG or PCTA for CAD
• History of myocardial infarction
• Hypertension
• History of dysrythmias requiring medication for suppression
• Valvular regurgitation
• Asymptomatic mitral valve prolapse
• Pacemakers – The pathologic process that necessitated pacing should be addressed regarding the fitness to dive. Finally in those
instances where the problem necessitating pacing does not preclude diving, will the diver be able to meet the performance criteria?
Note: Pacemakers must be certified by the manufacturer as able to withstand the pressure changes involved in recreational diving (to
depths of 130 feet of sea water).
Absolute Contraindications: Venous gas emboli produced during decompression may cross intracardiac shunts and enter the
cerebral circulation with potentially catastrophic results. Asymetric septal hypertrophy and valvular stenosis may lead to the
sudden onset of unconsciousness during exercise.
• Congestive heart failure
=======================================

After reading several journals and Braunwald's, I highly recommend consulting a cardiologist, requesting a stress test and informing him/her of your desire to dive. Due to the stresses placed on the cardiovascular system before, during, and after diving, it may have adverse effects on your valve reconstruction. Furthermore, because they used part of your Pulmonary artery for reconstruction, there may be increased pulmonary gradients due to the increased density of breathing gas causing breathing difficulties and heart rate changes. A Pulmonary Function Test may not hurt either.

I would also contact Divers Alert Network as suggested above. I also would like to see what the doctors have to say, though it may be disappointing news.

Cheers :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom