Heart Attack issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster-K

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Uncle, a veteran diver since military trained in his teens some 40 years ago, recently suffered a heart attack (on land, unrelated to diving), and has since been told by his doctor to refrain from scuba diving. The doctor is not a diver, nor trained in the science of diving. Is this a good recommendation? I realize that a heart attack underwater could be a bad incident, but my question is: could any aspect of diving cause another heart attack? I'm referring to pressure, both air and water, or nitrogen in the bloodstream, not the sight of a shark or mermaid.

Divemaster-K:
My Uncle, a veteran diver since military trained in his teens some 40 years ago, recently suffered a heart attack (on land, unrelated to diving), and has since been told by his doctor to refrain from scuba diving. The doctor is not a diver, nor trained in the science of diving. Is this a good recommendation? I realize that a heart attack underwater could be a bad incident, but my question is: could any aspect of diving cause another heart attack? I'm referring to pressure, both air and water, or nitrogen in the bloodstream, not the sight of a shark or mermaid.

Try www.scuba-doc.com. You might find some information there.

Divemaster-K:

Have him see a physician trained in dive medicine. I met a dive instructor some years back who was 100% disabled from the military due to 3 MIs (heart attacks). He was still diving on a regular basis. I don't know if he ever sought advice on whether he should dive or not.

He could be at higher risk for DCS. MIs are typically caused by arterial blockage. If the nitrogen bubbles get big enough (which isn't likely if he dives conservatively), it could cause a problem getting through the blockage. I'm just speculating here. Like I said, have him see a physician trained in dive medicine.

Back
Top Bottom