Heart attack and a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stormingheaven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a search on the subject and didn't find just what I was looking for. I even checked the DAN site but couldn't find a definitive answer.

My best friend has decided that he wants to get his OWD. He is very excited about it and has gone so far as to purchase a fair amount of equipment. It's very cold here in Northern Michigan now and he will do his confined diving in a pool and then wait till the spring to finish his OW.

Here's the deal, he had a mild heart attack about 3 years ago. He now lives a very active life style and is in good health. He has no restrictions and any medications he is taking are unremarkable.

The question is, what concerns will his instructor have? Would he need to provide any type of documentation or would simply signing a waiver be acceptable? PADI Instructor.

Depends. Of course you can always simply check "No" on any of the medical questionaires and do whatever you're comfortable with. Unlike in Europe, where every diver has to undergo a medical exam to be cleared, in the US all you need is to sign the waiver. It's all about liability, not actual medical clearance. If he is nervous about it, he should consult his cardiologist and have him clear him officially. A history of heart attacks is not in itself a no-no for diving. It depends on his individual risk factors for a recurrent heart attack.

He will have to fill out a medical quetionaire, when he checks "yes" to heart conditions, the instructor will make him get a physical form filled out by his MD or cardiologist. You can probably get these forms ahead of time.

If we checked "yes" to any boxes my instructor wouldn't let us participate in the pool sessions until we had the medical clearence form filled out by a Doc.

Once a Doc signed off, then the instructor didn't have any concerns.

As stated above, this is no big deal. I know of a DM candidate that has had a heart attach and has more than a couple of stents.

Your friend just needs to get a note signed by an MD that there are no medical conditions that preclude diving. It's pretty simple. It would be ideal if this opinion was supported by a stress test (tread mill) but it isn't required.

The instructor and the LDS just want some kind of cover should a medical condition result in injury or death.

Around here, you have to get the medical release if you are 45 or older whehter you answer 'yes' to any questions or not.

Richard

As others have said, he could either lie on the medical form, and thereby give his instructor an out in the event of disaster, or can check yes for heart conditions and get clearance from the cardiologist.

I suggest the second, along with an detailed consult with the Doc. Diving, especially in cold water, has other effects on the circulatory system beyond the simple stress of physical activity. A frank assessment of his fitness to dive is a reasonable precaution, regardless of whatever the rules might be.

Last November I had my regular checkup. My doc gives me praise for the way I look after my health. I'm almost 51. On my last visit I told him I wanted a stress test done for the heck of it. We do every other test known so this is next. I go Monday. I have Dan insurance and get their regular magazine dive alert. In this issue is a great article on diving after a heart attack. The stress test will give an answer to most concerned divers about their ability to handle the dives. And there are other tests they can do. Also there is great advice about post heart issues. The article is very informative. Go online and find it in the Dan website. be well, kev

I got certified at 50 and my LDS required that I get a physical. I just assumed it was required by the cert agency. (NAUI) Anyway, its was a good piece-of-mind thing to do for me.

Please please please please please... don't lie on your medical.

There are some things on there that may look rather harmless and you may wonder why we even care but there are other things that can be life-threatening. If you lie on your medical and have some sort of issue, your dive staff also cannot give an accurate medical history to any treating emergency personnel and we may not react in a way that benefits you (the now patient) the most.

It's not worth it. Tell the truth, get a doctor's note if you need one. If a physician won't clear you, DON'T DIVE!!!

Rachel

P.S. I know not you, OP.

He will have to fill out a medical quetionaire, when he checks "yes" to heart conditions, the instructor will make him get a physical form filled out by his MD or cardiologist. You can probably get these forms ahead of time.

If we checked "yes" to any boxes my instructor wouldn't let us participate in the pool sessions until we had the medical clearence form filled out by a Doc.

Once a Doc signed off, then the instructor didn't have any concerns.
This was my experience with blood pressure issues.
It is worth it, in my estimation, to go to the doc AND have a stress test performed, both for peace of mind and safety's sake.

HERE is the answer given by a diving cardiologist to this question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom