Healthways first and second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In 1985 I purchased a Healthways regulator (at the time this was from a Canadian company called Healthways Canada which was owned by another company called Eldon Industries of Canada) which came in a Sherwood box and was marked as an SRB 3200 Magnum Blizzard.

I never had a chance to use the regulator as I got busy raising a family and it just sat in the box in my cupboard.

Not too long ago I wanted to start diving again so I took it to a local dive shop and asked them to check it out (which they did) and I headed up to the cottage for a trial "splash".

I am not sure why, but although it seemed to work well, when I took the second stage out of my mouth while it was in the water, it started to bubble.

Can anybody tell me if this is normal?

thanks,
George

If the bubbles stop when to turn the mouthpiece down, then it is normal. If it continues to bubble, they it is leaking.

When you take it out of your mouth and the regulator is full of air, the pressure differential (caused by the water column) from the position of the diaphragm to the open mouthpiece causes it to free flow. When you turn it over, it should stop. And then you just need to let the second stage flood slowly so that the free flow doesn't start again.

Can you post pictures of the regulator. I am under the impression that the Healthways company in the US went out of business long before 1985. Sherwood did make many (if not all of the Healthways regulators and valves), but the model name that you mention was only used by Sherwood, when they started selling scuba gear directly.

Thanks

Thanks for the pictures.

I see that the manual says Healthways, but the box and the regulators look very Sherwood.

The first stage design also looks like the Sherwood from the 80's. It is a piston design. Sherwood did make Piston first stages for Healthways in the 70's, but the outer appearance of this first stage are all very Sherwood (the hex shape on the body, the yoke, and the yoke knob). That should be a very reliable regulator and you should not have any problems getting it serviced.

Thanks again for the pictures.

They went into bankruptcy in 1962 (at that time they sold the Scubapro name, to Gustav Della Valle and Dick Boning), but Healthways did come back somehow (for a while).

I don't know any of the details, but the first dive shop where I worked (I started in 1971) did carry Healthways. We dropped it when we got Scubapro. That was just after I started working there. I never new what happened to Healthways after that, but I think they were around for a little while longer.

A leak in the second stage is not normal but since that is a Sherwood, you should know that the first stage is actually designed to "leak". If you look at the port plugs you will find one that is an odd hex shape or a rubber plug, which depending on it's age. That port is part of the "air bleed system" and should have a very small steam of bubbles coming from it during a dive. Many divers who are unaware of this design freature of Sherwoods mistake it for an abnormal leak. Contrary to the norm, if that port does NOT leak, the reg needs servicing.
Your reg is not a top of the line reg but it is a very robust, dependable design that will serve you well.

Good point, but the "air bleed system" was not used on the early Sherwood's. I don't know in what year they introduced it. I don't think the 1985 had it, but I am not sure.

99% sure that the 1st stage has the air bleed feature.
I would add that with age of it and it not being serviced, it likely has the 1 gen piston that doesn't allow for HP seat replacement.
Being essentially New Old Stock, the seat should be serviceable as is.

Sent from my iPhone from my momma's basement

Good point, but the "air bleed system" was not used on the early Sherwood's. I don't know in what year they introduced it. I don't think the 1985 had it, but I am not sure.

The SRB 3200 has the "air bleed system", however I don't believe the 4100 mentioned on the box did (upgrade of the 4000 which was designed for 4000# service which didn't have the bleed, it's second stage is shown on the box). As I remember I bought my 3200 somewhere between '80 and '83, but wouldn't stake my life on it. It was always a very dependable reg, which is why I still use it on my pony.

Frogkick has the manual if the OP is interested.

Bob
--------------------------------
The day I can't dive anymore, I will really need some other good reasons to stay alive. DarkAbyss

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom