Heads up if doing Kona in the next little bit... the manta dive is hopping.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf:
They count the same ones over and over . . . . (j/k) :wink:

... Anyway, how they came up with the number....

There have been numbers of individual mantas identified. The number is pretty substantial, can't remember what it is off the top of my head. All the mantas have distinguishing features such as spot paterns, injuries, missing tails, broken cephallic fins and such. We have several videographers on the site videoing the event that basically shoot and count mantas for a living. They usually take down a checklist of mantas and start marking them off as they see them. On the biggest night mentioned earlier each videographer counted somewhere between 21 and 24 mantas, however after comparing notes they noticed they were counting different mantas. Apparently a video review showed 28 total at the site that night. That's a bunch.

Later,

WOW. That's amazing. When I went, we saw 1 on a fly by and it was way to quick. I was very disappointed. I would go back to try again tho.

I was just there and did the Manta Dive. Awe-inspiring!

The first night (the actual dive) there were 2 Mantas. I then went back a second night to take my non-diving hubby who wanted to snorkel it. There were 15! It looked like a rave party down there. The change in perspective while diving and then while snorkeling was amazing. Both nights I was pet by rays. I didn't touch them, they touched me. After about 15 minutes in the water my husband who freaked somewhat as they came right up to us, said he'd had enough. For someone that isn't comfortable in the water, I give him lots of credit for jumping in 30' of water at night to check out these big, wild animials. Boy, I wish I had my kit on that snorkel dive (I didn't want to take my gear as I thought that might give him more anxiety to know that I thought he might chicken out). After taking him back to the boat I finished the snorkel. I did see a baracuda come wondering by. It was so amazing....both nights!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom