Heads up for Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
You've heard all the good, about the fantastic pelagics and other big stuff....here's a few things to look out for, written on my last day at LL Resort...

1) the coral is bleaching like crazy, but not dead so it will hopefully recover, the water has been quite hot these last few months (dive guides say it started in March)

2) crown of thorns! voracious! plentiful! leaving mounds of gravel in their wake

3) for the last few days our dive group ratio has been 12 divers of various ability to one dive guide, sometimes in strong current. Be prepared to take care of yourself & yer buddy, or adhere to a group of more experienced divers! Don't expect assistance from the dive guide.

4) when not diving, sit out on the front side of the resort on the tarmac side, where the staff congregate, to escape flies, catch a lovely breeze, and avoid the incessant pop music piped into the common area.

Yeah, it was worth the money! At least once:D

Thanks for the heads up... Especially #3, which I agree... When did u go to LL?
Well, if anyone is interested to help rid LL of the crown of thorns... see the attached... Valid for the month of Aug...

Attachments

• crown of thorns flyer(RM).pdf
    351.9 KB · Views: 96
X- I was there from 29th June to 4th July- just got back into KK yesterday

X- I was there from 29th June to 4th July- just got back into KK yesterday

Hmmph, 12 to 1 group seems like peak season traffic, not what I would have expected... How many groups/boat went out?

X- though all the boats were available, they stuck all 12 of us on one boat! While the boat crew took the other boats out to race and waterski with a boogie board. HMPH!

X- though all the boats were available, they stuck all 12 of us on one boat! While the boat crew took the other boats out to race and waterski with a boogie board. HMPH!

MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!! What else is new???

How does diving compare to Sipidan? We are heading to Sipidan in a few weeks for 2nd time diving there and was curious if Layang Layang is worth stopping for. Thanks.

Hi Kaes,

Layang Layang Resort only operates between 1 March and 31 August.

The resort is located on a tiny atoll in the Spratly Islands, South China Sea, midway between Borneo and Vietnam. There are regular special charter flights to Layang Layang from Kota Kinabalu.

The big draw card is the large schools of Hammerheads between March and May but the reefs are healthy and there is a huge diversity of fish life.

Actually the past year has been hard on Layang2, big changes even since March according to our dive master. The water temps have soared- the coral, tho still alive in late June when we were there, has all turned white, and there is a huge infestation of crown of thorns starfish- I would not call this a healthy reef. Hopefully it will recover. I dove with a woman who had been diving in this area for 12 years and the situation had her literally in tears.

Back
Top Bottom