Heading to the Keys!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amberjack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all – My husband and I are heading down to the Keys for a dive trip in late May. We’re looking for a decent but cheap place to stay, somewhere around Key Largo or Islamorada. We’ve done some research and found many reports of bed bugs (!) in the less expensive motels/hotels in the Keys. I’m pretty low maintenance as these things go, but bed bugs are NOT okay.

I’ve been hunting around here and seen lots of recommendations for different shops. We’re very new to diving – around 7-8 dives. Any more recommendations before I start calling around?

Can we anticipate good conditions that time of year? I’ve been reading about some ‘ripping’ currents in the Keys that had me a bit concerned…

Any other info – about restaurants, other things to do while we’re visiting (neither of us have been to Florida before, much less the Keys), or any tips on how to not make total asses of ourselves - would be great as well.

So excited! These will be our first dives since we were certified in December. Yay!

I'm going to Amy Slate's. Everything is right there. Restaurants nearby, they have grills you can use(propane), and for us the boat is about 25 feet from our door! If you'd like more detailed info call them or PM me.

I just returned from a trip to the Keys -- Before the trip, my experience level was similar to yours (also certified in Dec with 7 dives total). I dove with ScubaDo (http://www.scuba-do.com) and was extremely satisfied.

On day one of our scheduled dives, the ocean was rough and they gave us the option of cancelling or rescheduling our dives for that day, which I very much appreciated being new at the game. Also, they provided us with a dive guide; though the cost for this service was additional, it was totally worth it. The guide pointed out different reef organisms and even gave me pointers on tuning my skills. Also, Scuba-Do made certain to keep the dives shallow (~30ft or so max), as I'd requested.

From this newbies point of view, Scuba-Do offerred A+ service all the way. I liked it so well, I'm planning to complete my Advanced Open Water there in May. :D

Scuba-Do also offers some deals on lodging on their website...If you call Laurie, she'll definitely hook you up. 8)

Some of the dives in Key Largo require advanced skills. Sites like the Spiegal Grove (120 feet) for example, are known for having strong currents. Make sure you research the dive sites and decide what you feel comfortable diving before you get there.

We are staying in a condo. Cost is about $900 a week. I found that to be a great price especially when you consider what you get (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, full kitchen, balcony, security, and living area).

All these are in / near Key Largo

Place to Stay = Hungry Pelican (cheap and no bed bugs that I am aware of)

Diver Operators = Divers City USA (Tavernier, 3-tank trips), Island Ventures and Silent World (pretty much in this order too)

Places to Eat = Buzzard's Roost, Hobo's, Fish House, Whale Harbour (all you can eat, it's ok but it's all you can eat... lol... I dive with a bunch of guys that get their money's worth every time with the fresh steamed crab)

in the Keys! The current at the shallow sites is rarely problematic. When it's running, some of the small dive operators take advantage of the situation and drift thier divers along the reef. The deep wrecks here are a different story! A moderate to strong current should be expected and prepared for... experienced divers only!

Best local seafood: The Fish House
Best local hamburger: The Buzzard's Roost (Barge Burger)
Best local oriental food: Num Thai
Best local Italian food: Cafe Largo

For inexpensive digs, check out Ed & Ellen's Accommodations in Key Largo... nothing fancy... just a few clean, inexpensive rooms. Dive safely, and enjoy!

I second Brent about Ed & Ellen's.....decent place to stay notTOO fancy, but the price is right! Silent World does a special rate with the Suites Of Key Largo ($99 a night I beleive). If you find The Fish House too pricey, you may want to try the Big Fish Grill. Make sure you go to Hobo's before they move to their "new and improved" place.

IMO,
One thing most folks have missed is the "John Pennekamp coarl reef State park",This is a place for newer divers as they dive some great reefs! and would be the first stop you do after you check in! You pass the park on your way down,they have it all on site do a quick web search, Make sure you Dont feed the Squirrels!

Then I second and third ScubaDoo but call and find out what kinds of dives they will run at the times,letem know your NEWISH!
Lots of good opps in the Keys,

I will not make a call on any hotel

"Craigs" has the Best Fish Sandwich give them a try!

And on your top side or SI do head down to Robbies and feed the Tarpon,BEST TWO BUCKS YOU CAN SPEND IN THE KEY'S !!! <And thats my line!!!!! well one buck was but they raised the price,you will have a blast! Ice cold beers at the dock and look out for the "whiteish pelican" my son has taken a hit out on him!
www.robbies.com
As to hotels ask to see the room first! seems like the diver hotels are sometimes trashed, Not sure if thats due to divers are cheap,or divers trash the places and the owners will not fix it,but we have stayed in some real joints in the Keys=the kind were you bought six cans of bug spray and left all your stuff in the car!and bombed the place and headed out for eats!
I have not seen any bed bugs and trust me I now look,but the do have them big well starts with a C____R______ !!

I'm going to make some calls this week - thanks all for the suggestions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom