Heading to Cozumel. Could use some help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fireslayer

Reaction score
Hi

The last week of Oct, my cousin and I are heading to Cozumel to do some diving.
She has a time share at the RCI Community resort. Neither of us has been there before, so we are going in blind.
I don't even know what area of the island it is on.

Our big questions are about diving. Can anyone (everyone) recommend a good dive shop, and possibly some dive sites?

We thought that we would grab a couple of mopeds and our snorkel gear and take a trip around the island. Any good beaches to stop at?

And we love to party! I have heard that Carlos N Charlie's is a good place,,, Any other must see locations?

Thanks
Dave

I am recommending ScubaTony for dive operator and definitely dive the Wreck of Felipe. It is designed for divers that are not certified wreck divers. It was awesome. I really like Yucab also, nice drift- pretty fast. Santa Rosa Wall, San Fransisco Reef, Punta Dalila is a good dive and a great night dive. All the dives there are awesome. Lots of marine life and so much big corals and sponges. ScubaTony lets you stay down max bottom times. He is by himself so you won't have a different dive master/ instructor for any of the dives. Very friendly and knows the sites.

In general, the further south you go, the more spectacular the sites. I think you will get a lot of agreement on Santa Rosa Wall, any of the Palancar reefs, and Columbia Deep as giving you all you want. If you are skilled and get a good divemaster to get you through the Devil's Throat at Punta Sur, you will really be pleased. (You will probably have to pay extra.)

Here is the way most operators I have used work. You get in the boat and set off. Then they talk about sites and try to get a consensus. If you are in a boat with any really experienced Cozumel people, let them have their way and you will be happy. If not, suggest anything I mentioned above and sound really sure, and the newbies will go with you on it.

That's for the first dive, which is deeper and has the really spectacular formations. The second dive is usually a shallower reef, with better fish and better colors. Of those, my favorite is Paso Del Cedral, although the current can really rip there. Yucab and Tormentos are pretty good second dives, too. Never do Villa Blanca.

If you are starting from a point that is really far south, they may use a differnt protocol, since they won't have as much time on the boat ride.

Anything with "Palancar" in the name is (usually) a good dive. All that I have done have been great. (Palancar Horseshoe, Palancar Caves, Palancar Gardens etc)

I also love the C-53 Wreck, but not everybody digs that sort of thing. The owner of our Local Dive Shop recommended Santa Rosa and San Francisco as good dive sites. Both were very nice.

Many many people on this board highly recommend Christi at Blue XtSea. She is a regular on here. She doesn't advertise here, but she is a significant contributor and her operation has served and pleased many divers.

There are a TON of dive ops in Cozumel, and for everyone you will find some that say it is the best and some that say it sucks. If you use the search function there are a bazillion threads discussing the varying merits of many Cozumel dive ops.

I have heard (and repeated) the "rule of thumb" that any dive op with "Blue" in the name is generally pretty good. (I have used Deep Blue for 20+ dives and I have been very happy with them)

Of course, YMMV.

Wristshot

boulderjohn:
In general, the further south you go, the more spectacular the sites. I think you will get a lot of agreement on Santa Rosa Wall, any of the Palancar reefs, and Columbia Deep as giving you all you want. If you are skilled and get a good divemaster to get you through the Devil's Throat at Punta Sur, you will really be pleased. (You will probably have to pay extra.)

Here is the way most operators I have used work. You get in the boat and set off. Then they talk about sites and try to get a consensus. If you are in a boat with any really experienced Cozumel people, let them have their way and you will be happy. If not, suggest anything I mentioned above and sound really sure, and the newbies will go with you on it.

That's for the first dive, which is deeper and has the really spectacular formations. The second dive is usually a shallower reef, with better fish and better colors. Of those, my favorite is Paso Del Cedral, although the current can really rip there. Yucab and Tormentos are pretty good second dives, too. Never do Villa Blanca.

If you are starting from a point that is really far south, they may use a differnt protocol, since they won't have as much time on the boat ride.

Just curious why you said never do Villa Blanca. We have done Villa Blanca wall several times and it is a blast when the current is really flying.

Back
Top Bottom