Heading to Cancun in 2 weeks..any last minute tips, suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a couple of dives booked, thru Manta Divers. One of 'em is for the Cenotes and another is a wreck dive. We're wingin' it for the rest of the dives. We may sneak over to Coz for the day....depending on how far we can push our luck with the wives!

I'd appreciate any tips, or suggestions or anything for a first timer in Cancun. We're staying at the Royal Sunset, which is in the Hotel Zone around Kilometro 10.

After 5 days of diving the East End, in Grand Cayman, my wife made it clear that "this isn't a dive vacation, but a vacation where we'll get some diving in!"

Thanks!!!

you'll be fine, Manta divers is great, and you can book all your dives with them, try the Wreck in Cozumel as well as the wall, but what you can't miss is the caverns, when you are there do me a favor say hello to Mimi, John and Lief from me.

Go to Pat O'Briens for a decent dinner great live music, Margarita ville is fun too the Managers, Gabriel, Alfredo and Mario are really cool guys, if you like night clubs you have to stop by Coco Bongo, if you like steaks go to Puerto Madero Restaurant is an Argentinian steak House, great food some of the best dinners i ever have, do not go down town, is a waste of time, is a place call Pericos where the enterteinment is great, but the food sucks, so do not waste your time or money.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Rafael

P.S. Please just make sure you are ready for the dives down there, the wrecks are in about 84fsw and the Caverns are more dangerous that what people think, is an over head enviroment, some operators will take you down there with just open water certifications and they wouldn't even bother to check your logged dives to see your record, currents are strong on the wrecks as well, so make sure you are ready for it before you put yourself in what could become a dangerous dive.

Rafael:
you'll be fine, Manta divers is great, and you can book all your dives with them, try the Wreck in Cozumel as well as the wall, but what you can't miss is the caverns, when you are there do me a favor say hello to Mimi, John and Lief from me.

Go to Pat O'Briens for a decent dinner great live music, Margarita ville is fun too the Managers, Gabriel, Alfredo and Mario are really cool guys, if you like night clubs you have to stop by Coco Bongo, if you like steaks go to Puerto Madero Restaurant is an Argentinian steak House, great food some of the best dinners i ever have, do not go down town, is a waste of time, is a place call Pericos where the enterteinment is great, but the food sucks, so do not waste your time or money.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Rafael

P.S. Please just make sure you are ready for the dives down there, the wrecks are in about 84fsw and the Caverns are more dangerous that what people think, is an over head enviroment, some operators will take you down there with just open water certifications and they wouldn't even bother to check your logged dives to see your record, currents are strong on the wrecks as well, so make sure you are ready for it before you put yourself in what could become a dangerous dive.

Thanks! I took you up on the advice that you gave me, in your earlier PM's, and booked with Manta. I spoke to John, and Mimi, and requested Leif as our guide. I appreciate the "heads-up" concerning the dives. We're going to play the wreck dives by ear, as it all depends on the prevailing conditions. We're still working on the wives, for Cozumel.......thanks, again!

We did a week and a half in Cancun for OW checkouts and Advanced OW. John and Mimi at Manta Divers are great...Americans from Texas originally. The trips to Cenote Chac Mool was beyond amazing, and the one to Cozumel really great too. Cavern diving was something I thought would be unnerving (never liked tight places), but as soon as we were inside, it was unbelievable. A must-do if you're in Cancun/Cozumel/Playa area (it's about an hour's drive from Cancun, and Manta provides that transportation, including pickup where you're staying).

I was there about three weeks ago. There are plenty of nice places to eat down there. As was mentioned before, I don't go to the clubs down in the zone. A lot of money for nothing. The only restaurant I go to downtown Cancun for is the La Placita's. Excellent pate and you definitely should get the Mayan coffee at least once. Very few Americans go down there, that's why I go.

The water was cold when I was there. It was about 80 on our drift dive on Manchones reef off Isla Mujeres. When we did our night dive at 50' on Punta Negra, it was 76 degrees. I dive in a quarry up here that is that temperature! The dive master called the dive after 35 minutes because the gal that was with us was near hyperthermia. Everyone had a 3mil on except me, I was just in t-shirt and trunks.

I've never dove with Manta but have heard good things about the folks there. If you get a chance check out a new shop up near the Federales building and the huge Mexican flag. Stop in and have a chat with Ben Mooney, tell Ben I see him next year. He'll give you some good places to eat down there as well.

Also, check out another friend of mine's site down there, another Brit, Al Mason.

www.britsincancun.com

Has lots of good info.

Have a great trip!

Jack

Hi, I´m Al the Brit friend of Spratman.... www.britsincancun.com

If you are looking to book some of the other Dives with Ben Mooney, I know he is opening up his new Dive Shop shortly.

His website is www.mayanaquadive.com he is also located at around KM 5 not far from the Big Flag, so not far away from the Royal Sunset... easily reached by bus or taxi.

I intend to start putting all of my dive business through Ben, and he offers me good rates for my clients.. and will accept the Discount card that I give out.

If you want to call Ben directly, then his number is 0052 998 168 9645 or e-mail benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk

Regards

Al

allen@britsincancun.com

Skinsfan1311:
I've got a couple of dives booked, thru Manta Divers. One of 'em is for the Cenotes and another is a wreck dive. We're wingin' it for the rest of the dives. We may sneak over to Coz for the day....depending on how far we can push our luck with the wives!

I'd appreciate any tips, or suggestions or anything for a first timer in Cancun. We're staying at the Royal Sunset, which is in the Hotel Zone around Kilometro 10.

After 5 days of diving the East End, in Grand Cayman, my wife made it clear that "this isn't a dive vacation, but a vacation where we'll get some diving in!"

Thanks!!!

Manta Divers is a solid op. Ask to go to the mexican minesweeper "Felipe Xicotencatl" it's one of my favorite dives.

For good eats try "100% Natural" restaurants for lunch (several locations). I'm not sure what the reconstruction is like but Lorenzillo's for lobster dinner is incredible.

Cheers.

-J.-

Lorenzillos was down in April when i went there the last time, but for Lobster nothing like Boston, skip the Lobster go for the ceviche.

Check with Alex and Nicole from divemotions if you are interested in some pictures or video, they do a very good Job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom