Heading there!...Kauai!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a few shore dives from Kuai and would recommend them. I can't remember who I went with (30 years ago and un-logged) but there were several shops that will take you out.

Hi Snowmann.

Here is some information on Kauai dive sites, and I can personally recommend Lawai Beach, Koloa Landing and Poipu Beach Park. It's been about 10 years since I've been in Kauai, however, so I highly recommend that you seek out the local dive operators there to obtain current info on the best dive sites that suit your skills, abilities and interests.

Have fun and safe diving! Be sure to fill us in on your trip!

Where are you staying?

I highly recommend Seasport Divers. They will take care of you and show you the shore diving spots. However you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't do a boat dive.

Ditto on Seasport, though Fathom Five was decent, too. Tips for FF: (1) check your reciept and make sure you weren't charged for gear you didn't rent before leaving the shop after checking in and paying; (2) don't let the DM man-handle your assembled rig onto the boat because the :censored:er will promptly and unceremoniously drop it, tank and all, into a tank holder box, smashing the wing between your BP and the edge of the raised metal dividers in the box. Then you'll spend the rest of the ride out to the first site grinding your teeth while wondering whether you now have a pinch-flat in your expensive wing.

Looking for suggestions for shore diving or guided dives.

Hey Snowmann,

As for shore diving, there are only 2 spots that it is easy to get to and dive. Koloa Landing on the south shore and Tunnels beach on the North Shore. Both are very different dive sites

Koloa Landing is 95% year round diving. From time to time in the summer months (May-Aug) the site will have high surf and not be good to dive. An old boat ramp walk-in is where you enter/exit. The site can get around 50ft at the deepest with most of the reef is 10-40ft. If you dive the location very slow (or with a guide) there is A LOT of life to see from turtles, eels, fish, and octopus.

Tunnels beach is only open for diving (April-Sept) when the winter surf goes away. Beach/sand walk-in. The site can get to 60ft with the reef in the 15-60ft range. Home to many swim through areas, turtles, octopus, and fish. White Tip Sharks are seen often in the early months (April-May) but can be seen from time to time throughout the rest of the season. Parking can be very bad at this location and it is really good for you to arrive early to get a spot that is close by the reef. Dive shops arrive between 6am-7am to get a parking spot for their 8am check-ins.

I am an instructor for Fathom Five. Not sure about Dr. Lector's experience with us, but I can assure you that if you request and dive with me, your gear will be taken care of like it is my own. I have been diving in Kauai since 2005 and just finished up my 5th year in this dive market. Sea Sports and Fathom Five are the two dive shops on the south shore with Bubbles Below offering great diving out of Port Allen. There are some dive operators that work with hotels and can meet you at the dive locations for guided tours. All the dive shops/operators here have their own personalities and feels. Call around to the different places and find which one will work best for you.

If you have any questions - please ask away.

Also if you choose to dive at Fathom Five request to dive with me and you will not be disappointing. Check out my young youtube channel below to see just a couple of things from this past year.

Heh, I was actually out with Michael for the FF trip I describe (October 2012) and he was great. However, he was not the only one on the boat and he wasn't the guy who asked that I hand my assembled rig up to him only to see it dropped down as described... so I suppose I should have said boat helper rather than DM or captain. As a DM, Michael lead a solid dive...though the sheer physical effort and number of bottom time minutes dedicated to extricating a particularly reluctant tako from its hole at 50-60' was IMO questionable.

Not to take this thread off topic..

@Dr. Lector - Sorry that your gear was treated in that way. I assure you that, if with me, it will not happen again under my watch. As for the time and effort with the taco (Octopus) - I have been very busy, since last October, to refine my whispering talents. If an octopus is difficult to interact with, they stay in their dens. I hope to dive with you again on your next visit to Kauai. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom