headaches after deeper dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I get bad headaches after deeper dives.

I have done over 80 dives in the last 6 months. Of those, only 5 have been deeper than 60 feet (I went 80-90 feet). After 4 of those 5 dives, immediately upon surfacing, I got a very bad headache, all around the top of my head. Each time it slowly went away over a couple hour period.

I haven't gotten any headaches after the other, shallower dives. On all the dives, I came up very slowly, there weren't any rapid ascent issues. I never came close to a deco-limit. And I haven't had any other dive-related problems or symptoms. All dives are in Los Angeles (water temp 56-66). I can't recall having a head-cold during these dives.

Any ideas what is going on? Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks,
Scott

scottfiji:
I get bad headaches after deeper dives.

I have done over 80 dives in the last 6 months. Of those, only 5 have been deeper than 60 feet (I went 80-90 feet). After 4 of those 5 dives, immediately upon surfacing, I got a very bad headache, all around the top of my head. Each time it slowly went away over a couple hour period.

I haven't gotten any headaches after the other, shallower dives. On all the dives, I came up very slowly, there weren't any rapid ascent issues. I never came close to a deco-limit. And I haven't had any other dive-related problems or symptoms. All dives are in Los Angeles (water temp 56-66). I can't recall having a head-cold during these dives.

Any ideas what is going on? Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks,
Scott

Scott,
Do a search on headaches and you will find a wealth of answers. Possiblities range from CO2 retention (due to increased gas density / poor breathing habits -- think slowly and deeply), neck strain (anxiety being at deeper depths -- also can affect what would normally be good breathing habits), and others. More often that not its either CO2 retention or tension/strain.

Craig

Or you are just like me and are more prone to headaches under pressure. I get them while flying, or even on rollercoasters when there is a sudden pressure drop or increase. It could also be your sinuses that are affecting you and possibly causing headaches.

Worth looking into.

Craig, Tamas -

thanks, I just read a lot of past articles on headaches; based on what I read, I think it's either CO2 buildup or barotrauma (in my sinuses).

I get the headache right after I surface, its very painful, and I don't feel "sick". I consider myself a good breather, with slow, deep breathes, but next time I do a deeper dive, I'll make sure I breathe often enough (but not too much!). Slow, deep, breathes, but don't hold the breathes - right? It sounds like CO2 buildup is from "skip-breathing" or breathing too shallow.

I might also try a sinus decongestant.

I never get headaches in daily life, I'm very lucky that way. Not prone to them at all.

If I still get a headache afterwards, I might try going back down to depth (air, buddy, and nitrogen levels permitting). If the headache immediately goes away at depth, then that means its probably a barotrauma, right?

Scott

one thing iv eheard of causing headaches is the dryness of the air. maybe your taking in more of this dry air at deeper depths, ive had similar experiences with headaches

Hi mccabejc,

Good article from DAN, thanks! I often suffer from a headache that starts halfway through the dive, often resulting in nausea (and vomiting). I have the feeling it happens more often during deep dives (+15 metres).

Cheers,
Geerten

scottfiji:
Craig, Tamas -
I might also try a sinus decongestant.
Scott

Be carefull about using sinus medication....

If it wears off while you're down you can end up with a reverse squeeze.

Also, little is known about the effects of these meds under water... mixing with higher concentrations of nitrogen and ozygen under preasure, etc. The manufacturers don't test them under these conditions.

If it is CO2 build up, breathing slow and deep will sort it out.

Your body might be telling you not to dive past 60ft.

Keep safe,

Bob.

I used to get quite a few headaches - then I started drinking LOTS of water before and after. This may not be your cause, but it certainly won't hurt...

Has anyone heard of equipment being a factor in this? I just realised that over the past four days of diving (2 dives each morning) the first day I was completely fine, no headache, no nausea whatsoever. The first day I used a different regulator from the days after since the depth meter was broken, so changed after the first two dives.

Maybe the type/brand of regulator influences the breathing and thereby the CO@ buildup because of easier skip-breathing? Anyone hear of differences between brands in these aspects?

Cheers,
Gurt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom