Head covering, not ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any recommendations for a head covering in cooler 50’s F water that does not cover the ears? I just really prefer to not cover the ears, thanks for the help.

…wear a proper hood and poke holes in it? What is it about a hood that gives you this preference?

…wear a proper hood and poke holes in it? What is it about a hood that gives you this preference?

The amplification of sound, my sinuses are noisy and this makes it louder. Thankfully they don’t cause diving issues, just sing:)

The amplification of sound, my sinuses are noisy and this makes it louder. Thankfully they don’t cause diving issues, just sing:)
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes the noise! I like diving with a hood - the extra heat, even in very warm water, is helpful for me. And, of course it helps to keep the hair out of my mask skirt. But the NOISE of my air bubbles is very annoying. I just assumed there's not workaround. I wonder just how silly I'd look if I cut two ear holes in my hood?

I use a Bare beanie... doesn't cover my ears but adds a little heat retention, also stops me looking like a senior troll doll underwater lol

Seriously though... for such cold water maybe a real hood with the ears cut out? Most LDS's know someone who can seam neoprene. Would compromise some of the water retention but would be better than the beanie.

MOV_0004_Moment.jpg

I us a scap in warmer water but not sure 1.5mm is enough in cooler water

Back
Top Bottom