Hawthorne Reef and Haggerty's Crane Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Love the closeup of the shrimp and the wide angle shot of the Paired Vermilion Rockfish.
What is this? And what depth/location does Hawthorne Reef reside?
1596f870ee0244f682c5cd0d956d40b9

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's a sponge or tunicate, but they are everywhere on the reef. Hawthorne Reef is in 80 feet about 1/2 mile off Hawthorne Blvd. It's a huge reef. I haven't explored much of it in the half dozen or so dives I've made there.

I'm not sure if it's a sponge or tunicate

My initial thought was a sponge, but I've never seen any of our local sponges shaped like that:confused: It looks almost tropical.

Beautiful as always!

Thanks for mentioning a new dive spot to me at Hawthorne.

Yes Frank, isn't this interesting! I was heading over to check out one of these, when I became distracted by a large lingcod. After a minute or two of trying to make it think I wasn't trying to photograph it, I forgot about the mystery growth.

I can't find it in any of our books, so we'll have to go back and get a closer look.

I love the last photo of the hermit crab under the fuzzy blanket -- he reminds me of the Emperor in the Star Wars movies :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom