Hawaiian Seahorse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seahorse 3 small.jpg

Look what we saw today diving Maui!! :D :D

Hopefully all further responses will follow your example and not let the fish collectors know any hint about location.

Nice to see that color and size; kind of means to me that last year's big black male was successful in his incubation! :eyebrow:

I saw a purpleish one last month on Oahu... I've yet to talk to anyone that has also seen one here so I feel pretty lucky! Vis was crap though and I was in some surge that made it hard to stay still (and the Seahorse wasn't exactly still either) so it's not the best shot in the world.

Oahu Seahorse_July 2011#2.jpgOahu Seahorse_July 2011.jpg

halemanō;6021504:
Hopefully all further responses will follow your example and not let the fish collectors know any hint about location.

In this case, this isn't something to worry about, for a few reasons:

- Maui doesn't have any active fish collectors at the moment, so the yellow seahorse is safe.

- Although seahorses are neat, they're not worth very much. So, there's not much incentive for people to go hunting for them, especially since they're so well camouflaged and hard to spot. Most of the ones found at the pet store are the pelagic seahorse (H. fisheri) - these are a byproduct of the akule fishery and are never seen by divers due to their habitat.

- Usually, professional fish collectors already know where to find the fish we need in areas that aren't frequented by other divers & snorkelers, so we're not about to go searching the internet looking for places to find fish. Taking fish from somebody else's dive spot is inconsiderate and unnecessary - it's a big ocean and there's no need to step on anybody's toes.

rgbmatt, I should have typed "Maui salt water aquarium owners" instead of "fish collectors."

I have read (and learned from) many of your posts and do not feel "professional fish collectors" like you are a problem; wish all were like you.

I have known a few aquarium boobs, and they are not as "educated" as you. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom