Hawaiian Monk Seal Pup Born on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
What great news! There are only some 1200 or so Monk Seals left in the Hawaiian Island chain and this is the first pup born here since 1998!

Got this info off the khon2 news website

Mother Nature and a proud mother are providing us with a rare treat.

A Hawaiian monk seal has given birth on a secluded beach on Oahu's NorthShore.

The pup is about a week old --- no word yet on its sex.

Pups have been born on RabbitIsland for the last three years but this is the first seal born on Oahu since 1998.

"Their pups are always pretty active --- they'll try to go down to the water and come back on the shore ---they're definitely moving around most of the time," says Erin Moreland, monk seal sighting coordinator.

"Baby is not out of the woods yet."

Marine mammal response coordinator, David Schofield says, "the monk seals are in a crisis situation as far as their population is concerned so to have a pup born here on Oahu is quite a treat."

There are an estimated 60 monks seals in the main Hawaiian Islands and only twelve-to-thirteen-hundred in the entire chain, including the northwestern Hawaiians islands.

It is certainly one of the most endangered species in the world.

We've agreed not to disclose the location of the beach in order for the animals to have a successful rearing period --- which usually lasts six weeks.

Volunteers from HawaiiPacificUniversity and the community are helping scientists monitor the mom and pup from sun up to sundown.

ahhhh...I am missing EVERYTHING!

So great! ....guess we can say 1201 now!

thanks for posting! Did you see the video someone posted of the Hawaiian Monk seal recently? So much personality.

There have been sightings of Monk Seals on the South shore now too....Hope we are having a Monk Seal boom :D

Here's the video of the Monk Seal (adult) on NS. Onfloat was shooting the video and that's me in the frame. Hope this works, it was an awesome dive. Best dive to date this year. :mooner:

Monk Seal

The video didn't work?...it's working for me. Havn't dove today.

The link says it does not allow outside links to the video.

"Angelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire.
This practice of 'remote linking' reduces
our ability to serve out the homepages
of our members quickly and efficiently."

May need another way to get to it.

I haven't been in the water all weekend.

justleesa:
What great news! There are only some 1200 or so Monk Seals left in the Hawaiian Island chain and this is the first pup born here since 1998!

Got this info off the khon2 news website

I noticed the local news was real careful about not telling where the seals were, but it looked familar to me. Then yesterday CNN named which side of the island they were on and gave it away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom