Hawai'i water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ID diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I will be traveling to Maui and Oahu in October. We are trying to figure out which wetsuit to bring. What is the expected water temperature for this timeframe.

Thank you for your help.

We are normally there the last week of Sept to first week of Oct every year and the water temps have been 79 -81 degrees. I've worn a 3mm and been fine but I'm thinking of taking my 5mm this year just because I'm a wimp.

I agree with Gabe and Co. regarding the individual differences.

Most people seem to dive with 3 mm suits here. A lot of people switch down to shorties in the summer.

I have a fair amount of bioprene (also know as lipoprene or simply put: fat) so I don't get as cold as the skinny guys. I usually dive with a 1 mm rash guard and boardshorts
in the summer and add a 1 mm hood in the winter. But I will add I am the exception on the boat.

You might go fo 3mm suits and throw in a hood if you are still cold. I you are super slim or have noticed you get cold easy, go for a 5mm.

We all admire the snowsuit Gabe wears bit I think he only needs it because he dives so much!

Have some great dives!

Jason

If you plan on 79 degree water and factor in how much diving you're going to be doing, that should be a good way to know what wetsuit to bring.

Hello,

My wife and I will be traveling to Maui and Oahu in October. We are trying to figure out which wetsuit to bring. What is the expected water temperature for this timeframe.

Thank you for your help.
I wear my 3mm full with booties and light gloves and have dove maui in Jan, Aug, Sept, and May and never got chilled even on 90 min dives. I'm 5'8 and about 170lbs hope this helps you.

I'll be diving in Maui in mid-December, and trying to figure out which suit to bring as well. I was there last September, and wore a 3mm full and was fine. Water temps were about 79F according to the computer. How much cooler will the temps be in mid-December? Only other suit is a 7mm, and I'm afraid that may be overkill.

Paco II:

I dive a 3mm full year-round here in Hilo, which is probably one of the "colder" spots to dive in Hawaii (one dive this past winter registered a low temp of 69F). I wear a 5mm hood in the winter.

Again, it really just depends on how easily you get chilled. You'll see DM's in 5mm fulls, my wife dives a 5mm full year round (she gets chilled in a 3mm full).

If you are "cold tolerant" from diving in the Bay Area, you should feel comfortable in a 3mm.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom