Hawaii VS Alaska! Cant decide :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There were 5 of us who were about to go and dive and we are now down to 3! Very typical isnt it :p Anyway ... this has also opened up options that were closed before. For example two of us are already drysuit certified and the third one will be getting her certification soon. We were looking at liveaboards that operate from within US territorial waters and two top the list. Kona Aggressor is a well known liveaboard and almost everyone interested in liveaboard diving must have heard about it. Then there is Nautillus Swell based out of Alaska. We looked at their website and were intrigued by the unique diving experience. Viz will be limited, water cold and rough but the gigantic marine life is quite fascinating. Since this would be a major financial investment we wanted to make an informed choice. What does everyone here think? If you had a choice to dive Alaska or Hawaii which would you go for? I understand that tropical diving is overall much more pleasant and relaxing but then if you have dived tropical waters elsewhere like Florida Keys etc, how different could Hawaii be? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Personally I would take the chance to see something new. While i have never been in colder than 43deg (Monterey, CA) I love cold water diving. The sea life just seams to be more active and alive. The colors of tropical rock and the chance of finding the masters of disguise kind of fish (Frog Fish) are great, there is something about the wildness that would make AK my choice. That and I live in HI and dive it 20+ times a month.

They are pretty much the same, aren't they?

:idk:

I've dived Hawaii, and I've dived Port Hardy, which is Alaska-esque. Me, I'd do Alaska.

Hawaii is interesting if you are into the endemic species, and Maui has a lot of turtles. But the reefs there simply cannot compare with the unbelievable profusion of life you find in very cold water. Port Hardy has walls where you cannot put a finger down ANYWHERE, because of the density of soft corals, sponges, hydroids, and other critters . . . and that's just talking about the sessile stuff. Decorate that with foot-long nudibranchs, prehistoric King Crabs, and top it with kelp stands full of rockfish, with light streaming down through them. Now, you have PNW cold water diving!

I think it's the newest Alert Diver that has an article on the trip on the Swell. The photographer author also points out that the topside scenery is amazing, with possibilities of seeing Orcas, dolphins, rafts of sea otters, bald eagles, and the like.

Everybody goes to Hawaii. Be different; do Alaska.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom