Hawaii virgin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks all re the flights, but i will just assume i will have to take into account flight intervals. so that brings me back to my earlier question which island should i visit. looks like it comes down to maui or big island.

thanks all
nicolle

Nicolle,

I've dove both extensively, and I'd go for the big island. You can shore dive - do "Place of Refuge" for sure. Another good one is off the beach just south of Honokohau harbor. These are both wonderful semi-bowls full of the usual suspects - and they slowly drop down to 100' or so to a beautiful sand bottom. You can do the night manta ray dive there (Kona) too. My personal recommendation is Big Island Divers for that. However other than the manta dive, I've been more impressed with the shore diving than the boat diving.

Mark

Yeah, Mark's got a point...

Place of Refuge aka Honaunau is awesome, supposed dolphins...
Crescent Beach off Honokohau is pretty cool, but can be nutty in a swell. Heard dolphin, supposed tiger area.
Saw a friendly Manta off Old Airport...
But one dive for Manta's I didn't do is the Sheraton Beach Hotel Manta Night Dive... It's an on-your-own type activity because I don't think the hotel does it, but we saw Mantas there and we were standing on the hotel lobby balcony. Surf was up HUGE on both nights we scouted it out so we didn't get in the water there on our last trip...

Go to Maui and book a dive boat to Molokini. Inside the crater is fantastic but the back wall is world class. Both of them will give you a chance to see sharks, rays, and turtles.

Enjoy,
Chris

I've been to the Big Island twice and Maui three times. If you want something with Big Animals then the Big Island would win as the night Manta dive is outasight, "place of refuge" is great snorkel/dive spot as last time we spent over an hour with 21 dolphins hanging out in the bay. On Maui off Molokini Crater we've seen Manta and every dive at least a few sharks. We've seen whales breaching.
There is plenty to do on land on either Island as well. Maui has the bicycle ride, coasting 38 miles down a mountain, the road to Hana, more beaches than the Big Island, waterfalls, Lahaina has a lot of places to eat.
The Big Island has waterfalls, Kona is much more quiet, the big attraction is Kilauea the volcano. Visit the shore where lava is pouring into the ocean as well at the top is Volcano house (tourist trap) yet interesting.
Looks like you'll have to choose between two great choices, but you can't loose. Save the other Island you don't visit for the next time.

Molokini - Maui
Image164-1.jpg

Big Island
Akaka.jpg

Kilauea lava field and lava pouring into the ocean
Image136.jpg

shot taken while diving at Molokini
Image191copy.jpg

Place of Refuge - Big Island
Image084.jpg

Some have 15ft. wingspan
Image050.jpg