Hawaii suggestions for person traveling alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm… I can see where that might be troublesome, if one wants to do other stuff (hiking, sight seeing, etc) after doing some diving.
Tarponchik and KathyV - did you find this problematic during your visits to the Big Island?
No cause I only do shore diving and plan my own time. Also, my last two trips were in winter so I won't go out diving too early anyway :)

Hmmmm… I can see where that might be troublesome, if one wants to do other stuff (hiking, sight seeing, etc) after doing some diving.
Tarponchik and KathyV - did you find this problematic during your visits to the Big Island?

No, because we divided the 2-week trip into segments. We spent a few days on Oahu sightseeing, then spent a week on the Aggressor diving, followed by 4 days enjoying the sights of the Big Island, and then we came home. We didn't try to do it all at the same time.

Thanks again, guys... Can I get your thoughts on something? I tend to like using dive ops that give a more personalized and less "cookie cutter" dive experiences, and in my prior dive vacations, i've never switched between different shops during the same trip (I prefer to leave my gear at one place, for convenience sake). I've heard good things about many of the dive ops in the western Big Island, but Pacific Rim Divers seems (based only on internet searches) to offer one of the most personalized services. However, I really want to do the manta dive and the Pelagic Magic Dive (the latter only offered by Jacks Diving Company). Would you recommend, therefore, just using Jack's for my entire trip (day and manta/night dives), or doing day dives with Pacific Rim and night dives with Jack's (hence moving my gear back and forth). Thanks, in advance...

The "Pelagic Magic" dive is simply Jack's' marketing name for the generically-named "Black Water" dive. At least two other quality operators in Kona, Kona Honu and Big Island Divers, also offer Black Water dives.

I really like Kona Honu's version, as it features a very knowledgeable marine biologist, who doubles as an excellent photo pro. Check out some of his photos from black water dives at http://milisenphotography.yolasite.com/blackwater.php.

Oh, and ALL of the islands Manta Night dives are basically the same. They go the same place, at the same time and share in the setting up and operation of the lights to attract the plankton which attract the mantas.

For manta rays, I would pick up any dive shop with the shortest trip. Since the dive is by the Sheraton at the Keauhou bay, you can figure it out.

Please post how things went! I am headed to Hawaii July 2016 - after a week live aboard in Solomon Islands, 4 days shore diving in Fiji, and 4.5 days in Auckland, NZ (no diving there). I plan on going to the Big Island and would love to get some diving in while there. Solo female diver who will need buddies to dive.

Please post how things went! I am headed to Hawaii July 2016 - after a week live aboard in Solomon Islands, 4 days shore diving in Fiji, and 4.5 days in Auckland, NZ (no diving there). I plan on going to the Big Island and would love to get some diving in while there. Solo female diver who will need buddies to dive.
Off-topic, but is there shore diving in Fiji?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom