Hawaii suggestions for person traveling alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlt3b

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a single guy in my 40's, with a work trip in Honolulu. I was thinking of extending the trip by adding a week of vacation. My usual diving buddies/friends are unable to join me, unfortunately. I was thinking of checking out the Big Island, but was hoping to get some advice before deciding. I've been to Kaua'i before, so will probably check out a different island. Can anyone provide me with input regarding:

1) Which island would be a good choice for someone who wants to avoid touristy places, but doesn't want to be SO isolated from people (since i'll be traveling alone).

2) I plan to do some diving, but also want to do other stuff (e.g., not an all-out gung ho scuba vacation). However, I need ideas/suggestions about places that might be accommodating for a single person traveling along, that may need to buddy up with others.

3) Links to websites/resources for great things to do that are non-touristy and perhaps not widely known to most tourists.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Jeff

Jeff,

The Big Island, of course. Maui offers lots of interesting stuff to see but is way more touristish.

For things other than scuba buy this book My list of "must do" things includes (1) a hike to Green Sand Beach (2) Waipio Valley (3) a drive to Mauna Kea observatory and a hike to the lake nearby (4) waterfalls near Hilo (5) the volcano park; but ask them if watching the lava flow into the ocean is available at the moment. For scuba shore diving check out the nearby threads in this forum.

I liked the Big Island and Maui about equally, I actually found the BI to be a bit more touristy, but neither as much as the carribean. This will largely depend on where you stay on each island, there are touristy areas.

Both islands offer lots to do topside.

The big plus about diving Maui, is if you stay in Kihei some of the boats leave at 6:00 am and you're back at the dock by 9:30 after 2 dives, giving you the rest of the day to explore. That's big for me.

Lots of sights on both islands, both equally impressive in my opinion.

Bottom line, if you haven't been to either, you can't go wrong with whatever island you choose.

Have you considered a liveaboard? We did a great trip on the Kona Aggressor. The boats stays close to the island but visits the more remote areas that are not easily accessible to day boats. But you also get to do the more popular sites including the awesome night dive with Manta Rays. You won't be isolated because you will be one of the guests on a relatively small boat and everybody becomes friendly very quickly. You can choose to dive with the divemaster or hook up with other guests. The diving is so easy and you can do 4 to 5 dives a day with no problem. All your food and diving and accommodations are included; just eat, sleep, and dive, it's a great trip!

Of course, that would be a "gung-ho scuba vacation" so maybe not what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Thanks Tarponchik, Scubanoobi, and KathyV. Greatly appreciated.

Tarponchik - I went ahead and ordered the book you suggested, as well as the corresponding App. Thanks! Looks great!

I appreciate all of your input. The notion of being able to dive early and be back by 9:30 in Maui does sound appealing… Is this not an option in the Big Island?

KathyV - i've always wanted to do a liveaboard vacation somewhere, but my thought is that in Hawaii there's also so much to do topside that I think i'm going to defer the live aboard option for now. Great suggestion though - next time! hahaha!

Maui is the only place I have found that does the dives that early, anywhere else you're not done until noon at the earliest. Unless you're shore diving of course.

Maui is the only place I have found that does the dives that early, anywhere else you're not done until noon at the earliest. Unless you're shore diving of course.

Hmmmm… I can see where that might be troublesome, if one wants to do other stuff (hiking, sight seeing, etc) after doing some diving.
Tarponchik and KathyV - did you find this problematic during your visits to the Big Island?

Consider elevation also esp. on the Big Island. Along the coast road you're fine but the Saddle Road (state 200) climbs to 6600' on the way to the east side/Hilo. And Volcanones Nat'l Park is at 4000' also. Obviously Mauna Kea is out at 13,600'.

Maui is iess of a problem. It's pretty flat along the west side and the road to Kahului bisects the two older volcanoes. I'm of the mind that south past La Perouse Bay the road climbs some also but I don't know how much. About the only reason to do that is it's the back way to Hana. I'd rent a jeep also.

I wouldn't say the later diving (8:00-9:00) is a problem, it's the norm pretty much everywhere I do 2-tank dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B&B is the only operator on Maui that gets you back before 10am, everyone else will be 11:00-12:00, but that's because B&B leaves the ramp before 6am! There's definitely a lot to do topside on Maui, just avoid staying in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area if you're wanting to avoid the major tourist area.

Also, post when you're traveling and wanting to dive. There may be folks on SB that will be on island at the same time and looking for a dive buddy, or be open to having you join their group for shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom