Hawaii "shore" diving is a "sure" thing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As the issue comes up again and again I hope to offer a little insight to shore diving in the Hawaiian islands. In the past I feel this information has been a great help to divers new and old alike. Shedding some light on the subject I hope some divers will avoid missing out on the amazing gems that shore diving can be in Hawaii. Often divers have numerous mis-conceptions regarding shore diving. Commonly they include -

1) Shore diving is for beginners only
2) Shore diving is much harder
3) You're missing out on the best diving by staying near shore

The reality is that there are potential pros and cons to shore or boat diving. In terms of the previously mentioned list ...

Shore diving is fantastic for all levels of divers. Guided they are almost always smaller and more personalized groups. Executed properly they are at a very relaxed pace throughout the experience above and below. Bottom times generally greatly exceed that of boat dives due to the shallow nature. The highest percentage of marine diversity as it pertains to species of fish is found in shallower waters. Experienced photographers often find shallow waters with small or private groups ideal due to the required slow pace of photography. Simply put, the benefits inherent with shore diving appeal to all levels.

As far as difficulty, there are all ranges of difficulty levels when shore diving in Hawaii so even the most experienced of divers can find the challenge they are looking for. The most common deterrent for newer divers is thinking about having to haul gear long distances out of the water, and then having to execute long surface swims (perhaps in rough water). Many of the best shore dives in Hawaii for visitors have easy entry and exits. Surface swims are usually generally short as well. In terms of surface conditions, mother nature really has the say in that ultimately, but rough isn't the norm. For those of you like myself who trained in California, coming on vacation and paying to haul gear up and down the beach to do surf entries and long surface swims wasn't my initial thought of fun. Again, while all levels of difficulty are available, if you are with a guide 99% of the work is done for you.

In terms of missing out on the best diving if you dive from shore...well, that debate isn't the goal of this post. Again, there are pros and cons to both. You can see things near shore that are less likely to be seen off shore and visa versa. Visibility is often better off shore but that isn't to say that shore dives can have amazing visibility as well. In fact 40-60ft or better visibility isn't uncommon in Hawaii from shore. Some days depending on numerous factors vis' can approach and even exceed 80ft. Hawaii is probably best known for it's world class turtle diving, and shallow waters can find you spending time up close and personal with the amazing creatures.

Anyway, sometimes information and suggestions are hard to come by when visiting a new place. My hope is to just share one view about how amazing shore diving can be, and perhaps dispel some myths about shore diving in Hawaii. The islands are loaded with amazing operations and divemasters/instructors. Whether from boat or shore Hawaii has so much to offer. Do yourself a favor and consider the wonderful options you have on your chosen island while visiting. I hope if you read this you will also utilize some of the fantastic contributors here to help you plan a great trip. As always, feel free to message me if I can help with any info regarding your dive plans in Hawaii!

Hope you'll be blowing bubbles soon!
A

thanks for the info...your hard work and expertise to get the information out does not go unnoticed.

I'm a big fan of Hawaii shore diving. It's a way to wring a heck of a lot more diving out of your travel $$ while regaining control of your dive plan and day's schedule, and on the Big Island in particular you're not giving up much to boat diving except sheer number of sites. The shore diving sites there are nearly a pure subset of the boat sites.

Because of the abundance of lava rock and occasional shallow stretches at entry, the number of truly beginner level shore spots is pretty low. It doesn't take much more than zero groundswell to turn a diveable spot into a real hazard, so an abundance of caution and experience is advised. The key to a safe and successful dive is often the exact choice of entry and exit spots. For that reason among others, the services of a guide can be invaluable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom