Hawaii--Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont recall the name of the town we may be staying in. I know its about mid way to most everything. Its right off Hwy 2. She isnt sure she wants to go now. frustrating.

as for the stage bottles. Im trying to remember if my LDS offered stages or not on the first student wreck dives. Seems like there was a tank and 2 2nd stage regs. Ive never had to use one. I dont think it hurts to have it there. In the short time ive been diving, Ive heard about seasoned, experienced, professional divers running out of air. I certainly dont see a problem with redundency. a lot of us have Octo's for that reason. I DO agree, that if they DEPEND on those regs, and not on safe practices, then things are all wrong. But then, if its my wife down there, and for whatever reason she runs out of air, Ide rather have them than not. and to top it all off, it doesnt matter if its the dive shops fault, or the divers fault. we all sign those little waivers making law suits and blame immaterial.

Mililani?

I know of a very small dive company that is perfect for your wife. The instructor will conduct skills with her in a pool in the morning and then take you out for a 2 tank dive. I’ve done all my training with them and I’m doing my DM work with them now. I have never seen more than 2 DSD taken out at a time. Really affords for that 1-on-1 that most people like when trying something out for the first time. Link to their website included below.

http://www.kaimanadivers.com/
http://kaimanadivers.blogspot.com/

ArcticDiver:
You read something into my post that simply was not there. Lets try again.

They put a hang bar with regulators over the side at safety stop depth for anyone who might be low on air.

That does not state, or imply any particular dive profile. It merely says that Ocean Concepts acknowledges that some of their customers may get so wrapped up in enjoying their dive that they don't monitor their breathing gas as closely as they should. So, instead of leaving the customer in a dangerous situation they give them a safe way to recover.

That, by any rational person's thinking is going the extra mile for satisfied customers and for safety.

All dive shops stopped doing this a long time ago on the island. OC wasn't doing it the last time I dove with them either (about 10 months ago). One reason they stopped is because is lures divers to put themselves in a dangerous situation by running low on air because they know there is air at the safety stop.

You may look at this as looking out for their customers, but most responsible divers look at this as helping new divers become less concerned with learning and building their skills by giving them a way out that is rarely there. That is the whole point of having your buddy with you or diving with the dm (if you are new or more comfortable that way).

By the way, did you know that OC just lost one of their contracts on base. I believe it was, something about a lot of customer complaints for lying to customers and dishonest practices.

hey, I didnt start this forum to create a battlefield. take your arguments to the PM's. This forum (SB) is designed to share wisdom and offer assistance to other divers who need it. Its no wonder EVERY other board out there has refugees that refuse to come back here.

We decided not to go. My wife had a moment of "womens intuition" and decided it it didnt feel right to go. turns out hes broke and we would have shared an apartment with him and a few other rookie squids. Trust your wives fellas! This thread is dead. Mods you can lock it up, im done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom