Hawaii--Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second Alcina's opinion. Roger and Lisa are fine folks and took good care of me and my dive buddy, last December.

I would go with Roger and Lisa if you are looking for a vacation package.

If you want somebody to give you a lengthy dive briefing, herd you onto a boat and hold your hand through a dive site, then try OC. OC is a good company if you only use them once or twice. If OC didn't have a monopoly with MWR I would see them going out of business.

OC gets the "I would not go there' from me, other than that, I must remain neutral......Roger and Lisa though, great people.....

Actually, Lisa and Roger can arrange for a videographer to accompany your dives. I understand the person they use is pretty darned good to boot!

Jcsgt:
Actually, Lisa and Roger can arrange for a videographer to accompany your dives. I understand the person they use is pretty darned good to boot!

Yes in fact I have worked for them in the past, I did their underwater wedding! ScubaDrew VideoWorks is an independant videography service...I will work for anyone!!!
btw..thanks for the compliment.

scubadrewvideo:
Yes in fact I have worked for them in the past, I did their underwater wedding! ScubaDrew VideoWorks is an independant videography service...I will work for anyone!!!
btw..thanks for the compliment.
You're welcome! I'm just sorry we didn't arrange to have you dive with us while we were over there.

The important wording in post #3 is without proper supervision. With a proper briefing, including "let me know when your at half a tank" and "you need ~900psi at the bottom of the line to do a slow ascent and 3 min safety stop", taking divers with <10 dives to the main deck of the Sea Tiger is common, without the need for "stage regulators". I would think that going to the sand beyond the bow at night with those same divers would only happen after verifying their ability on previous dives.

During the three winters I took inexperienced divers on Oahu's deep wrecks I do not remember any other boats using "safety stop regs". The Captain would just say "be back with at least 500psi or you don't get to do the second dive". If the Captain dropped us on a site with smokin' current he might not be as worried about tanks at 300 to 400psi but it is the certified diver and their guides responsibility to return with more than enough air to do a proper safety stop. There were also occassions where divers acknowleged being hoovers, a good question to ask at time of reservation, particularly for divers over 220lb. Taking a 100cf tank for the hoover is sometimes part of proper supervision.

There are places for "safety stop regs", like off Key Largo, with 50ft cattle boats, no guides and three very deep wrecks (Bibb, Duane, and Spiegel Grove). As far as I know Oahu's charter boat diving is all guided. I have had groups of mixed ability on Oahu's deep dives; part of the briefing was about how I may be ascending early with the newbie so the experienced divers will have to be good buddies and monitor their air so we can all do the second dive. Experienced divers should be able to end a dive with 500psi. Maybe Mike has the regs because he doesn't trust all OC's guides.

this thread is about ONE thing. Can anyone suggest a good dive operation on Oahu. Many of you have done that. There are many different threads on dive philosophy, practices, and just plain idiocy. I dont want to have to filter through pages of bickering about the importance of a stage bottle slung at 15 feet, or whose dive shop might be working against another dive shop. Please try to keep with the spirit of the thread.

Have you decided where you are staying, Oahu is not small and the traffic is not always friendly. If it's Turtle Bay on the North Shore, Ko'Olina to the West or the Kahala Mandarin near Hawaii Kai your answers might be more specific. If you stay in Waikiki there are urban operators that may be more convenient.

The ferry is still just a pipe dream but most guests will enjoy a rental car to see the interesting sights away from bus lines and taxis. Will your wife be ok with intro dive skills conducted on a tag line at the back of the boat while you dive a wreck? Maybe she would be better doing skills in gental shallow waves at the shore, or she may want to be in a nice resort pool.

Sorry if I was long winded before but if a company depends on "stage bottles" for safe recreational diving I'm not sure they are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom