Hawaii--Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debay777

Reaction score
I may be going to Oahu in late May for my anniversary. Can anyone suggest a good dive operation in that area? We plan on being there for a week. Due to travel issues, I would rather just do the diving on Oahu rather than have to rush the ferries and driving rental cars around unkown islands/roads. I also plan to let my wife try a discover scuba class, so ease of diving and quality of training is important.

What I would do.

AAA diving...you do the wrecks two days (expect Ozzy/Johnny Depp combo as captain....good guy though)

Wife does discover with Kristen, an Independent on AAA dive boat the Elisium. (Wednesdays) Or Kiersten on The Enzo Tuesdays or Thursdays.

Call Capt. Joe 808-330-0083 and book yourself direct. Or...if you want more help, Aquazone is excellent. (For south shore dives)

Best dives, best boats...a combination for both shores ten minutes from Waikiki.

Over several trips I have been very satisfied with Ocean Concepts www.oceanconcepts.com

I noticed on the last trip that instructors from other island shops were training with Ocean Concepts. So, the training must be first rate. The newbies on my boat thought so also.

They are without a doubt the Big Dog on the island. I've dove with several operators and none are more professional or more comptetively priced.

They do such neat things as put a hang bar with regulators over the side at safety stop depth for those who are low on air.

While a hang bar can be nice for safety stops, stage regulators are for deco diving. An outfit that takes newbies on dives they should not be doing without proper supervision resulting in the need for extra air to do a proper safety stop is not what I would call professional.

If you were familiar with the training, sales and promotional restrictions PADI imposses on an IDC (Instructor Developement Center) you would understand that OC is one of only a handful of hoop jumpers in the Islands that can train PADI instructors.

That said, they may still have a dive leader I would follow anywhere (Kim?).

halemano:
While a hang bar can be nice for safety stops, stage regulators are for deco diving. An outfit that takes newbies on dives they should not be doing without proper supervision resulting in the need for extra air to do a proper safety stop is not what I would call professional.

If you were familiar with the training, sales and promotional restrictions PADI imposses on an IDC (Instructor Developement Center) you would understand that OC is one of only a handful of hoop jumpers in the Islands that can train PADI instructors.

That said, they may still have a dive leader I would follow anywhere (Kim?).

You read something into my post that simply was not there. Lets try again.

They put a hang bar with regulators over the side at safety stop depth for anyone who might be low on air.

That does not state, or imply any particular dive profile. It merely says that Ocean Concepts acknowledges that some of their customers may get so wrapped up in enjoying their dive that they don't monitor their breathing gas as closely as they should. So, instead of leaving the customer in a dangerous situation they give them a safe way to recover.

That, by any rational person's thinking is going the extra mile for satisfied customers and for safety.

I noticed on the last trip that instructors from other island shops were training with Ocean Concepts. So, the training must be first rate.

They are very good. The downside (for me) is that they do not own a boat, and the one that do use is on the west side. I personally think the west side is fished out, and the drive is about 45 minutes. Other than that, I like them too. The Mahi is not nearly the wreck it once was...it's a pile of rubble. And the west side gets a lot of surf this time of year, affecting viz.

Honestly, I can't see booking an operator that has no say in where the boat goes and they just wholesale you off to sombody else. Now, others have a favorite instructor...like the food, etc...that's their preference.

If I am on a crappy boat (not talking about OC) and have a crummy captian..I am not happy. Who the captain is is very important to me. The good ones can find the best dive for the conditions that day and matter more to me than the guide, usually.

OC is very good, I just can't make a day of doing a dive and fight rush hour traffic ewa side. I think they have exclusive use of the Mike's boat out there and are probably in control of the destination and schedule.

An outfit that takes newbies on dives they should not be doing without proper supervision
Welcome to Oahu, home of the deep vacation dive. Let's face it...people with <10 dives do the Sea Tiger (127)at night all the time. I am not saying it's right but that is our reality. I am sure PADI has a clue that it is happening.

I don't work for anybody and have no agenda.

catherine96821:
They are very good....OC is very good...I think they have exclusive use of the Mike's boat out there and are probably in control of the destination and schedule.

Yep. By the way I dove the Mahi this last trip and it sure isn't the beauty it once was. But it is far from a pile of rubble. Plus, the normal eagle rays, turtles and other neat creatures are even more in evidence.

Apparently you live on the east side. So, it would be a long drive. I drove it from Waikiki this last time and it took about 30 minutes. Fortunately Ocean Concepts offers full transportation for tourists.

yea...I do favor the Diamond Head side of life.

I leave my purse on the front seat of my car at the park and ride my bike...never had anything stolen over here in six years, don't lock my door either.

The traffic on the east side is hell (to me).

I see the most fish off Portlock, and I dive all the sites fairly regularly.

OC does train instructors and I would say training/ retail is their strong suite.

I do love the YO257 and the Sea Tiger so I would favor a combo of those wrecks and Hawaii kai/ south side. Just my preference..everybody has a different one.

Debay777,

All shops have thier own characteristic. I trust Alex at AAA Diving. When I did a shop check by diving several shops and rating them, AAA was always on time for hotel pick up, always provided a good, safe dive briefing and his boat was very nice.

Two other shops on Oahu failed to even pick me up! One was due to incorrect scheduling, I can understand 'Thursday' looks alot like 'Tuesday' but dates are different. The other just plain forgot and called me after I had waited for an hour and a half. I had put my stuff away by then. It kind of killed my vacation. Of course, I live here now but only moved here recently.

I've never dived with OC. So, I have no comment on them. Good luck with any dive you go on.

Chris

If you are on Oahu, I would highly recommend checking out Lisa and Roger at www.oahuscubadivers.com

They do not have a shop front, but they do have wonderful personal attention and a real dedication to making sure you get the best out of your time on the Island. I haven't taken a DSD with Roger (I am already certified) but I have been out on a charter with him while he conducts them. He was fun, professional and really in tune with each of the two he had with him that day.

Beyond diving, if you have a lay day, Lisa has this cool photo safari thing where she takes you to the best spots and does the photos for you so you can concentrate on just enjoying things. Kinda neat for that day before flying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom