Hawaii for a week, where and what ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P

Reaction score
Im going to the big island Kona side on June 28, then on to Oahu from Jul 2 to the 6th. I fully plan to bring my dive gear (guess Ill leave my doubles at home though...)and get some diving in. What kind of conditions should I be expecting? Im mostly worried about temp as I have a dive skin, 7 mil, and drysuit. Am I going to be having a another suit custom made now? Im staying at the outrigger, Ive heard its right on beach with snorkeling right there, is this true? maybe I can get the wife in water. Any suggestions as to were I should dive (beach or boat) on either island would be much appreciated. Anyone looking for a team mate during these dates?

Hi, David!

I was raised not too far from where you are: San Bernardino. However, that was 40+ years ago!

At any rate, let me tell you a little about your Kona visit.

Yep, the Outrigger is right on the ocean...and you can eat whilst watching the grand Pacific. There are wonderful tide pools right by the dining room and you get to see all sorts of sealife in them...and there is a snorkling, suntanning, people watching, etc.

We have experience with three dive outfits in Kona: Sandwich Isle, Jack's and Pacific Rim. Each has its own "culture" and "flavor" and each is class outfit. Sandwich Isle has a nice boat that COMFORTABLY holds 6 divers, a really nice crew, and is lots of fun. Jack's runs a couple of boats and they take 12 divers, but divide them into two groups of 6. They try to divide divers by experience. Pacific Rim has a wonderful 6-pack and they keep it neat. The crew is very attentive. I kinda like Sandwich Isle the best...

There are some good shore dives along the Kona Coast, but some are kinda hard to get to and need a little experience. Probably the easiest is "Two-Step". It is near the Refuge and easy to find. Just ask at Jack's or Sandwich Isle (where you can rent tanks) how to get there. Another easy to find site is Four Mile Marker. The entry is just a little, very little tricky, but it can be a nice dive. It is right off the main "street", Alii Drive, and not too far from your hotel. I won't go into the parking, etc., but leave that to the dive shop. And they will be more than happy to help!

Both Sandwich and Jack's offer Manta Ray Dives. These are night dives and, in my opinion, are not to be missed. Ask if the mantas are running--the shops will be honest with you--and if they are, go for it! If you have not done a night dive, they will help you beyond belief...it is the Aloha Spirit...We usually ask our first day in town because the dives can fill up fast.

Oh, there is so much more to say about Kona, but others can probably help. Does it sound like I love the Big Island? You betchs!

joewr

sounds good, yeah I love to see some rays. Kinda curious about one thing (even though it really doesn't matter one way or the other), after meeting people from all over the US at DEMA this last year, I was amazed to hear how much some of these shop owners charge for an air fill. One guy was $12! What is the going rate for air there? Also, just so Ill have an idea how much to budget (and then blow anyhow) how much is a 2 or 3 tank boat go for?

Hi, David,

Here are the URL's that will give you all the info you need. 2-tank dives go for about $100-$125.

I have a fill card because we have our own tanks in storage over there and we do mostly shore dives. If I remember correctly...a big IF...it is about $7 per tank. However, just give SID or JDL a 1-800 call and ask. Both outfits fill tanks...with air or Nitrox..

http://www.sandwichisledivers.com/rates3.htm

http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/charters2/welcome.htm

http://www.pacificrimdivers.com/Page.html

SID has a small shop with some nice items...Jack's has the premier scuba store on the Island, but expect to pay pretty high prices compared to the Mainland.

Oh, yes, right next to SID is a restaurant called Pancho's and Lefty's. As you might guess, they serve comidas Mexicanas. And on Tues. they have Tightwad Tuesday. Just get a local paper, cut out the coupon, and you get two meals for the price of one. Be sure to show the waitress your coupon before ordering.

If you want a meal that is absolutely superb, drive a distance to the Keie Cafe. Wonderful dinners...but a little pricey...and make reservations at least a day in advance. We love it.

More, later...

joewr...

For your time on Oahu I can highly recommend Ocean Concepts. They have a very put together operation. They do take a long time to answer emails and that kind of thing. But, their crews are first rate and boat isn't crowded.

ArcticDiver:
For your time on Oahu I can highly recommend Ocean Concepts. They have a very put together operation. They do take a long time to answer emails and that kind of thing. But, their crews are first rate and boat isn't crowded.
Here is their URL:

http://www.oceanconcepts.com/

joewr

I can offer better opportunites and much better places of business than ocean concepts (you customer service is very hit and miss with them). We also have a lot of divers out here that can get you to some of the nicest shore diving and other operations (Aaron's, Island divers, Sea and Sea) that can get you where you want to go and actually do care about you and your time spent diving.

We have a few shore dive sites that rival anything you can hit from boat on Oahu. There are some very nice wrecks though and most of them can be hit by charter (charters don't dive some of them) and all of them can be hit by kayak.

rockjock3:
I can offer better opportunites and much better places of business than ocean concepts (you customer service is very hit and miss with them). We also have a lot of divers out here that can get you to some of the nicest shore diving and other operations (Aaron's, Island divers, Sea and Sea) that can get you where you want to go and actually do care about you and your time spent diving.

We have a few shore dive sites that rival anything you can hit from boat on Oahu. There are some very nice wrecks though and most of them can be hit by charter (charters don't dive some of them) and all of them can be hit by kayak.

Hi, RockJock!

It has been many years since I dived Oahu and I do not feel competent to advise folks. However, it sounds like you are good to go in that regard. Can I make a suggestion? When you recommend an outfit, if you can add its URL like this:

http://www.oahuscuba.org/

http://www.oahuscubadiving.com/

It would be helpful...

Thanks, again, for making suggestions. This Board is all about divers helping each other.

joewr

I think you might be fine with the skin as you must be used to cold water. You are going to cook in the 7ml. I use a 3ml but in the interest of an intermediate solution maybe a cheap shortie or core warmer would work well enough. Some people here do use a 7ml but I think it’s more for long, multi day and dive and an older more compressed suit.

You should schedule your dives ASAP, the shops can be booked solid. Especially for the #1 choice, Manta Ray Dive, and also if you have a particular operator you wish to use. If you wait till you’re here you stand a good chance of having to just take something from whatever operator you can find has room.
The operators vary in price some. Some for instance would include a light for the Manta Dive. A two tank is around $120. Another very good operator (friscuba) is Wanna Dive Kona, I’d definitely check them out. Basically it is very competitive here so all must be up to snuff, haven’t heard any are not to be recommended. (Not counting some places you just pick up snorkel gear LOL.)

Last I paid for tanks it was $10.00/per tank, unlimited fills each 24 hours at Jack’s. For a weekend I’d try to time my pick up to fit into a 24 hour period. Say late afternoon dives Sat and early morning dives Sunday. They weren’t real anal about the 24 hours but I wouldn’t expect to get by with more than an hour over. They did have package prices reducing the cost, of course the more of = less cost each, I have a 100 fill card for $100, for example. You really ought to ask the shops. There are several, you have Jacks, here is Big Island Divers another good shop, and in Kona.

Boat dives include weights and tanks. If you’re planning a lot of shore dives you might want to USPS flat rate ($8.10) your weights and anything else heavy that will fit in like batteries.

There’s some info at ScubaBoard - 2 step I wrote some time ago. There are a number of good dive sites, I not a fan of 4 mile, but it is right in town. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands is a pretty good spot to look for sites. Also get the Amazon.com: Franko's Dive Map of Hawaii, the Big Island.

wow guys, thanks alot! Your hospitality is astounding! I really appreciate the urls and also the hint on booking the manta dive! I will have to get on it this afternoon! Thanks again, and maybe meet one or two of you in June/July

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom