Hawaii for a week, where and what ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I were in Kona from the 26th to 30th of December and stayed at the Outrigger. We had no problems with the hotel. Our room was large, clean and comfortable even if it was a little worn down.

The Outrigger is a three minute walk to Keauhou Bay. The surf was big while we were there, so the viz was down to 10-15' or so, but the snorkeling was still pretty good. I went over two or three times while we were there, and found a ton of Green Sea Turtles, as well as eels, butterflyfish and a few fish that I didn't see on the boat dives (esp. the Picasso and Rectangular Triggers). We were also told that there is some great snorkeling around the Captain Cook monument, but we weren't on the island long, so we didn't get a chance to explore it.

We did the Manta Night dive with Kona Honu Divers. The whole thing was very cool to see, and I'd totally do it again, but we were lucky enough to get really close to a couple of Mantas on the dive before, and I found seeing them in a more natural setting even more enjoyable. The night dive itself is kind of a contrived experience, like the Reef Shark feeds in Nassau. Usually three-six boats are all tied up at Garden Eel Cove, and the divers all form up in rings around a series of milk crates filled with high intensity lights. The lights bring in the Plankton, and the Plankton brings in the Rays. On our night dive the surf was also big, and the dive site is fairly shallow, so there was a lot of surge - to the point where divers were struggling to hold onto rocks and banging into each other left and right. If you're going in June hopefully the water will be a little bit calmer.

While we were there, the water temperature was around 77 so we wore full 5 mm suits. I think it's supposed to hit a low around February around 75/76 and then start getting warmer again from there to a high of 80 or 81 in September and August..

You'll love the helicopter tour. Seeing the Volcano, and the coast from the air is an amazing experience. When we planned things out we followed the DAN rule and made sure we had at least 12 (single dive) and 18 hours (multiple dives) of SI time before we took the helicopter tour or headed up to the Volcano. The one exception to that was one shallow tank shore dive we did down at Place of Refuge. After a couple of hours basking in the sun, we did the drive back before we realized what the altitude was. Thankfully, we experienced no adverse effects.

Definitely do the Manta Dive and explore Keauhou Bay a little bit. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Have you ever dove Hawaii or the South Pacific before? All the aquatic life is very different from what I was used to from the Caribbean and even Pacific Costa Rica.

Cheers,

D

I've only dove sothern california and Sea of Cortez, Im really looking forward to this! Does any of the dive shops rent steel tanks?

David P:
I've only dove sothern california and Sea of Cortez, Im really looking forward to this! Does any of the dive shops rent steel tanks?

Hi, again,

Sandwich Isle does, but most of their tanks are AL 80's. I am not certain about Jack's.

Joe

Check with Dive Tek. Good luck, I feel quite the weirdo here.

I’d say definitely overweight for the manta (you’ll be at 34’ and if you go on a touraround you can manage just fine.) Every time I’ve been, some jerkdonkey lands on me and just stays there. Never had an apology or my place returned to me yet. Suck‘em up is one of the boat dive sites and the link is somewhat representative of what the surge can be like (actually, it is of the ‘flush’.)
The Manta Dive contrived, maybe. Extraordinary, absolutely. I’d schedule midweek, had much smaller crowds then but the whole show has been very different each time period. Besides you have no control on what the rest of the world wants to do. I think somebody up north does a ‘secret spot’ Manta dive, but otherwise all the Ops are at Eel Garden. Flybys by Manta’s, yes; but the chances of running across a bunch of Mantas feeding for an hour over your head is rather slim outside of the Manta Dive. And their presence is never a guarantee.
BTW, I choose to lie down, it’s just more comfortable, easier to stay in my place and then evacuate when the donkeys take over.:D

I happened to speak to someone from Dive Tek tonight and they do rent some steel tanks. Keith is the man to talk to.

man, I feel like I should show up to the islands with several 6packs under my arms for all your guys help. Thank you all so much!

David P:
man, I feel like I should show up to the islands with several 6packs under my arms for all your guys help. Thank you all so much!

David,

I prefer some of our excellent California wines...and a six pack will work fine! However, the rules of our Board do not allow that...on the other hand a $500 gift certificate for Jack's or Sandwich Isle...

Joewr...this area unrented as of today...call for a special price...:wink:

David,

Whatever you do, you have to do the Manta Night dive! If you don't, shame on you. I went to the Big Island for 9 days at the end of 2005 and did it 3 times with three different companies.

Jack's, Honu and Wanna-dive with Steve (friscuba). All are friendly and all do the same dive. They probably all get their sandwiches at the same place.

Jack's has a gorgeous shop in Coconut Grove, Kona Honu is a bit outside (but they picked me up from my hotel). They both have large boats and cater to many divers. Wanna-dive was great too. Smaller boat and more personal with Steve.

Check out Wanna-dive as well. http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com

I know you'll have a great time there!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom