Hawaii DNR Status of Maui Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccredifo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was browsing the DNR website and came across this document. http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/pubs/MauiReefDeclines.pdf

I had no idea the reefs were in such a decline. Most of my diving has been off Molokini so I can't really speak about the local reefs.

In two weeks I'll be on Maui and plan to do at least ten shore dives. Are there certain reefs that are better or worse than others?

Here are the ten shore dives we hope to make.

1. Mala Wharf
2. Old Airport Beach
3. Black Rock
4. Ulua Beach
5. Haloa Beach
6. Five Caves
7. Makena Landing
8. Pu'u Olai Beach
9. Ukumehame Beach Park
10. Maui Prince Hotel Beach

If interested in tagging along send me a P.M..... you might even get a few free beers :D

There are definitely some beach dives that are better than others.

I love the Mala Wharf dive, mostly for the structure and for the big schools of fish that take shelter inside it. Lots of opportunities for swim-throughs, too.

The shallow reef at Old Airport is pretty beat up, and I wasn't blown away by Makena Landing/Five caves, either.

The second reef at Ulua is okay, but has a lot of dead coral, too.

The north end of Polo Beach is a long hike and a little more challenging entry, but the coral was much more alive and vibrant there.

Reading the article just confirms my subjective opinion. I mentioned to my husband that, just in the three years we have been diving off Maui, it seemed as though there was less live coral and fewer reef fish, and he agreed. The article basically confirms this.

Back
Top Bottom