Hawaii diving - rating system anywhere? Reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup.... Oahu only. But you said you were here Oct 8-11, correct?

G

Yes, and being from the East coast, will be looking into early morning dives. I'm busy the 12-13-14th, leaving on the 16th PM. I want to see a volcano on the big island, perhaps will do that on the 15th Saturday.

We're both just PADI Open Water - so I don't think we can (legally) do night dives to see Manta Rays.

Whoever told you that you couldn't (legally) do the manta night dive as an open water diver is probably just trying to sell you a class. The most important thing would be night dive experience and your comfort level. The dive is only 40 feet and it's not really all that dark since there are lights everywhere to attract the mantas. I wouldn't pass on the manta dive just for that reason. Talk to the dive operators that take people out there on a regular basis and see what they say about it. It is definitely a dive you wouldn't want to miss if you have the chance to do it.

Maui only, rented a 2dr Jeep Wrangler.

Will visit the Big Island just an in-out to visit an active volcano tour. In the airport at 7am, out at 7pm.

I don't want to risk a night dive in the first few days, since 8pm is like 2am for us. I won't dive if I'm tired/sub-optimal. Ain't a youg'un anymore :(

So that just means - I'll have to schedule a layover going, and coming back, from Australia/New Zealand, on Oahu & Big Island.
For now, I'll just concentrate on Maui.

Halemano - we're in our 40's, not exactly top shape. So we'll pass your strenuous dives...however Big Thanks for your info - as well as others.
However as a photographer also, I'm interested in some of the things you do.
Perhaps you could take pics of us diving, in exchange for some greenbacks?

Aloha Mark,

Now that Shaka Doug "likes" the idea, I am comfortable with expounding on what I'm offering. All my trips are photo/video trips; I do not charge for diving services, I charge for "artistic documentation." So far Maui County and the State of Hawaii do not require permits to market "artistic documentation."

:D

I am still working out details of "artistic documentation" from Maui's dive boats. Likely Makena Coast Charters for Molokini / South Maui and Extended Horizons for West Maui, probably, when Victoria is not guiding. :idk:

Could be shore dives too!

Whole point is that you're in Maui, I'll be in Maui. Your cam gear and expertise is duly noted and appreciated.
What say you guide us for a day, I cover expenses, and you show a nice couple from The Great White North (Canada) a great diving time?

Fun, free food, and you go back home slightly richer...:D I rented a Jeep Wrangler 2-door, it should be ok for three divers.

FYI, in Mexico the photo diver would charge 100$ (1200 pesos) for a "backup" on a DVD or USB key (if I supplied the USB key). I did both as I didn't want to risk a scratched DVD on my way back home. So I paid that on top of the "tour", but separately to the diver. He told me that he has to pay to be on the boat, as an expense, but gets his air tank filled for free.

I'll look up Extented Horizons, since I'm staying on Kaanapali beach.

halemanō;6046025:
Aloha Mark,

Now that Shaka Doug "likes" the idea, I am comfortable with expounding on what I'm offering. All my trips are photo/video trips; I do not charge for diving services, I charge for "artistic documentation." So far Maui County and the State of Hawaii do not require permits to market "artistic documentation."

:D

I am still working out details of "artistic documentation" from Maui's dive boats. Likely Makena Coast Charters for Molokini / South Maui and Extended Horizons for West Maui, probably, when Victoria is not guiding. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom