Hawaii (Big Island) 12/15-12/18 Maui - 12/18-12/23 Need Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, new to the boards.
I am going with my wife who is not certified, she wants to snorkle. I will too. BUT I will NEED to do at least one dive. Between the two islands, which is a must do for a single dive? I know Molikini (provided I can get to the back wall, but what about Cathedrals II? Manta diving from the big island?
Also, we were looking into a helo tour of Hawaii - suggestions?

Last thing - I need to get a mask and snorkle for myself before the trip - my old one is.... old. I have a big head - any suggestions? Must ship quick or be on the shelf. I need the same thing for my wife who is small.

Thanks girls and guys, I am so very glad I found this site!

If you are wondering how the manta dive compares... there is no comparison. We get experienced divers who've dove all over the world who say that is the single best, or among the single best, dive they've ever done. Then again, sometimes the mantas don't show, it doesn't reach that level on those days. If they are there, it can be spectacular for both you as a diver, and your wife as a snorkeler.

Cathedrals 2 is a nice dive. I actually prefered it to the inside of Molokini, but not up to par with the end corners or the back wall.

Kona is very nice allround diving for day trips.

I believe B&B charges 109 dollars for the trip to Molokini and a second dive closer to the island for 109 which includes any rentals you might need.

I've done a helicopter tour of Maui -- It was a KICK. Very, very fun way to see parts of the island you don't normally get to.

Honestly, the best dive I've done on Maui was a shore dive, the Mala Boat Ramp. I've done it a couple of times -- It's got fabulous structure and teems with life. PM kidspot and ask him about it. He lives in Lahaina.

I can do a shore dive with you on the 18th or 19th, if you're interested.

You will probably find better prices here than locally -- the volume the shops put through over here often justifies lower pricing than the mainland shops can afford.

For a full set of scuba gear, Maui Dreams charges $20 per day ($100/wk) plus tanks at $5/per or $40 for 10. They also have a wide selection of masks at very reasonable prices.

We went out with Kona Honu Divers in Kona - 11 manta rays on night dive - I still get chills! Boat was 46' comfortable boat and they accommodate snorkelers, especially on the manta ray night dive. We were 30 feet down with lights pointed up and and snorkelers on surface with lights pointed down. Mantas visited all of us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom