Having trouble clearing my mask during ow course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I was hoping someone has some good tips. I am having problems clearing my mask. I can do it right away but it seems like if my mask is off for a short period of time water starts to run down my nose and i start coughing. I am also having trouble with breathing with the mask off. I can breathe in from my mouth and out from my nose but sometimes i get this weird block like something on my soft pallet which makes it difficult to transition to breathing out of my nose. When i transition it seems like water runs down my throat. Any tips on how to transition when i feel like my breath is stuck going from my mouth to my nose or not having it run down my throat?

Thanks

I think I know what you mean about getting water down your throat when you try to breathe with your mask off. This was the hardest thing for me during my open water courses and I had a really hard time not holding my nose if I took my mask off. I ended up taking a three year break from diving from 2015-2018 and before I went on my first trip after that, I took a refresher. I found that I hadn't forgotten pretty much anything in that time, but what made the course worth the $75 I paid was that the instructor helped me to finally fix this problem: When I take my mask off, if I look straight down at the bottom of the pool for the first two to three breaths I take, no water goes up my nose, even after I lift my head back up and continue breathing. After figuring this out, I've been able to pull my mask off and swim around while breathing quite comfortably.

I now teach this movement as part of the mask clearing drills when I'm working with students. Mask off (or flood), look straight down, take a couple of breaths, put mask back on face, hold the top of the mask and clear while moving your gaze from straight down to straight up.

So when breathing only from the reg without a mask, I should have my head tilted down? Dont I have to tilt my head back to clear the mask?

You will have to tilt your head back up to get that last bit of water out, yes. But just start by looking down. Something about this maneuver kind of resets that throat shutting, water going up my nose feeling. I just have to look down for a breath or two, then I can look back up horizontal and breathe normally. You'll be blowing out of your nose while you clear the mask, so you don't need to worry about water getting in it then.

I've found clearing when my nose is full of water is easier if I start exhaling before tipping my head back.
Breathing without a mask is a developed skill. Try closing your eyes if you feel that "block". It will come.

It may be an idea to see an ENT Dr. about maybe something odd about your soft pallet. I've had water go in my nostrils with no mask on (of course), but never anything down my throat, regardless of head position.

Trying to master too many things at once can be frustrating. You've never really had to occlude water from going down your nose before, so concentrate on just that. Get in waist-deep water in a pool/spring/lake. Make sure you're comfortable and calm. Bend over and put your mask on while your face is in the water. It will be full of water. Stand up, with your ask still full of water, and have a conversation with someone. You can even talk to yourself, it's OK. If the water drains out, fill it up again. Keep at it until you tire of it or you can talk with your mask full of water.
=> Waist-deep water
=> Calm and comfortable
=> Put your face into the water
=> Put on your mask, which is also full of water
=> Stand up, with your mask still full of water
=> Learn to talk without gagging
=> Don't give up!​

@Seville i think the biggest point here is what you are feeling/experiencing is completely normal. For some people, it’s easier or tougher, but we all go through it to a degree when learning these skills. Repetition and familiarity will help you to get through it. And perhaps a bit of patience as well while you allow yourself the time to learn at your own pace.

Hang in there - it will be worth it.

I was hoping someone has some good tips. I am having problems clearing my mask. I can do it right away but it seems like if my mask is off for a short period of time water starts to run down my nose and i start coughing. I am also having trouble with breathing with the mask off. I can breathe in from my mouth and out from my nose but sometimes i get this weird block like something on my soft pallet which makes it difficult to transition to breathing out of my nose. When i transition it seems like water runs down my throat. Any tips on how to transition when i feel like my breath is stuck going from my mouth to my nose or not having it run down my throat?

Thanks
A low volume mask clears without having to raise your head. Use black skirting since colors can distort vision. Apply small amounts of food grade silicone on the lip section of the mask. Don't ever use Vaseline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom