Having My own air compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You probably should.
I service a lot of compressors, both from FD and dive shops. The majority of dive shops do zero maintenance and replace only failed parts once they break. Most fire departments are on preventive maintenance schedules. Currently, they are testing for CO actively while the compressor is pumping.

I'm not saying all fire departments are doing the right thing, there are many departments trying to do their own repairs and maintenance. Those compressors are typically a nightmare.

You are mistaken.
Breathing air filtration is not sold in land and sea variants nor is it sold in lesser filtering variants, its just called breathing air filtration, and fire departments all get air tests that detect CO periodically.

I work in the industry and would take air from FDs over SCUBA shops any day. Find any high pressure tech tech and they will tell you the same thing.

SCUBA shops often do their own maintenance or just do what they want, FDs are regulated and required to have their equipment on the up and up. I'm not saying there aren't any FDs that are doing the wrong thing but due to litigation that is virtually nonexistent these days (ask some questions and you can sniff this out very quickly. The servicer will have everything documented on the machine or in the cabinet. OSHA requirement and all... )

Where exactly do you think most SCUBA shop compressors come from? Hint, FDs are always upgrading low hour machines...

Not really, some FD air will not pass. Again I've looked at the test.

But just another reason I do my own fills I know mine pass.

Not really, some FD air will not pass. Again I've looked at the test.

But just another reason I do my own fills I know mine pass.
This is malarkey.

You claim a FD showed you a failed air test on a unit they use? OK, sounds ridiculous but regardless, if its true, it isn't because of low grade filtration equipment, it is because of a failing unit or seriously clapped out filters. I said these idiots would be easy to sniff out, I guess your reference proves that point.

You claim FDs use filtration that filters to a less spec than SCUBA breathing air, can you show me a reference to these filters?

I don’t see any reference for this guy to procure CO sensors for his at-home compressor. That would seem to be mandatory for a home compressor.

SeaRat

They need to be in OSHA compliance which means they are getting service regularly and air tested periodically. Their machines have low hours and should be in tip top.
I understand that the maintenance should be excellent, I just wondered if the standards are the same where they are not breathing the air above atmospheric pressure.

I don’t see any reference for this guy to procure CO sensors for his at-home compressor. That would seem to be mandatory for a home compressor.

SeaRat
I was only really scratching the surface and wondering how feasible it was, I wasn’t going into much detail about all of the smaller facets of air compressors yet.

I understand that the maintenance should be excellent, I just wondered if the standards are the same where they are not breathing the air above atmospheric pressure.
It is the same standard.

Check with your local fire/rescue unit. Often they have a fill station, and will fill your scuba tanks for a reasonable fee.

Two potential problems:

1. They typically can fill only single tanks, not doubles.
2. Air only (no Nitrox)

So, basically just call local FDs and ask if they would fill a scuba-tank with 3000PSI of air for a reasonable price? (My animal-brain is telling me the FD would consider that an unusual request, but I'm probably over-thinking it.) If they act confused, I guess just tell them "my scuba-buddies do it all the time, I'll pay $10/tank same as my local dive shop."

I'm about 1-hr from the nearest scuba-shop, and don't have the space for a fill-station. My backup-plan was buying a bunch more SCUBA-tanks, and just filling 6 to 8 tanks at a time. And timing my dives so I can fill, dive near the shop, and fill-again on the same day, before driving home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom