Having My own air compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP should not get a breathing air compressor. If your mechanical know how has you looking at a surface supply air unit as a possibility, you are too far from where you need to be to own and operate one.

Best; Find local fire department and ask if they fill their own or if someone else does it for them.

If you insist on one, buy a name brand unit from someone local and have them train you on how to use and maintain it. You aren't going to be able to sniff out a piece of junk in the used market, pay for new and you'll have a guarantee and factory support and (hopefully) someone knowledgeable to teach you how to use it. Used can cost as much as new real quick unless you know what you are doing.

Best; Find local fire department and ask if they fill their own or if someone else does it for them.

This is a great point. This is where I started out, they just couldn't fill doubles (at least not inside the blast chamber), but my Local FD was really great to deal with.

P.S. - I greased the wheels with pizza donations every other month or so.. I made sure I showed up, thanked them for their service and for letting me get some free air every once in a while:) Way more fun to deal with than the LDS, lol.

OP should not get a breathing air compressor. If your mechanical know how has you looking at a surface supply air unit as a possibility, you are too far from where you need to be to own and operate one.

If you insist on one, buy a name brand unit from someone local and have them train you on how to use and maintain it. You aren't going to be able to sniff out a piece of junk in the used market, pay for new and you'll have a guarantee and factory support and (hopefully) someone knowledgeable to teach you how to use it. Used can cost as much as new real quick unless you know what you are doing.
I was talking about regulators at the time. My experience with that sort of thing is far less than my experience with air compressors. I was reading about trying to get the fire department to fill tanks, do you get the same level of cleanliness in the air?

I was talking about regulators at the time. My experience with that sort of thing is far less than my experience with air compressors. I was reading about trying to get the fire department to fill tanks, do you get the same level of cleanliness in the air?
They need to be in OSHA compliance which means they are getting service regularly and air tested periodically. Their machines have low hours and should be in tip top.

They need to be in OSHA compliance which means they are getting service regularly and air tested periodically. Their machines have low hours and should be in tip top.
Thanks. I was wondering if they had the same level of filtration, I would trust the maintenance at a fire station more so than even a dive shop.

Thanks. I was wondering if they had the same level of filtration, I would trust the maintenance at a fire station more so than even a dive shop.

I don't

Why? Around here their systems are tested quarterly. I didn't use them for long, but I never had any issues.

I have 17 bank bottles bought from FD's and while I haven't seen inside all of them the ones that I have seen look great.

Why? Around here their systems are tested quarterly. I didn't use them for long, but I never had any issues.

I have 17 bank bottles bought from FD's and while I haven't seen inside all of them the ones that I have seen look great.

Because they fill for on land they don't filter as much sometimes. Think partial pressure, a very low partial pressure of carbon monoxide is fine on the surface but that same amount at depth can be lethal. Some fire departments do filter to the same standards as dive air some don't.

Because they fill for on land they don't filter as much sometimes. Think partial pressure, a very low partial pressure of carbon monoxide is fine on the surface but that same amount at depth can be lethal. Some fire departments do filter to the same standards as dive air some don't.
Ok.. well worth looking into then of course. My FD had the test results on a clipboard.. I took a picture and went through it later and it was up to breathing air standards for scuba. I never had any issues, but you're right.. could be different in different areas.

You are mistaken.
Breathing air filtration is not sold in land and sea variants nor is it sold in lesser filtering variants, its just called breathing air filtration, and fire departments all get air tests that detect CO periodically.

I work in the industry and would take air from FDs over SCUBA shops any day. Find any high pressure tech tech and they will tell you the same thing.

SCUBA shops often do their own maintenance or just do what they want, FDs are regulated and required to have their equipment on the up and up. I'm not saying there aren't any FDs that are doing the wrong thing but due to litigation that is virtually nonexistent these days (ask some questions and you can sniff this out very quickly. The servicer will have everything documented on the machine or in the cabinet. OSHA requirement and all... )

Where exactly do you think most SCUBA shop compressors come from? Hint, FDs are always upgrading low hour machines...

Back
Top Bottom