Haven't settled on the right BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using a Hollis 200 HD XL, that does not have a crotch strap. I don't know if it was removed or if the XL comes standard w/o a crotch strap? Can someone elaborate about the missing crotch strap on the XL Hollis 200 HD?

I had difficulty using Hollis 200 HD BC getting and staying trim on the surface and below, perhaps if the. Hollis BC was fitted with a crotch strap, my experience would have been more productive?

Congrats on the the surgery. One of my family has had it and it has made a huge difference in there life in many positive ways. For what it's worth, I'd suggest you consider postponing any purchase until you are post op. A reduction in your over all body size/volume will impact your trim and the weight (lead weight) you'll need to maintain neutral buoyancy.
You might find that the Hollis will work differently for you too. After going through several evolutions of BCDs myself, I've settle on the simplicity of a wing and plate system. I have a steel plate, an aluminum plate, and a composite plate. All of them work with interchangeable bladders depending on whether I'm doing doubles or just an aluminum 80 on an easy drift dive. My best to you and dont skip those deco stops.
How do the steel, aluminum and composite back plates differ in features and performance?

In principle they work the same, I.e. they support the cylinder(s). They also impact my “my package” weight.
For example, when diving steel doubles(-12) and a steel plate(-8) when I add the weight of my canister light etc I’m at about 20lbs package weight. That works for me wearing a dry suit( which is essentially having an extra BC ) I’ll also use a 44lb lift wing.
Now, same dry suit and a single steel 95(-6 empty) I’ll use an aluminum plate(-6), canister light and 30 lb lift wing my package weight is closer to 17-18 lbs which works for me.
If I’m traveling and dive a 3mm wet suit I use a single wing on a composite back plate and an aluminum 80(+4) and add 10lbs of lead in the wing pockets. My package weight works out to be about + 6lbs which is enough to get down and manage at depth and do a deco stop at 15 ft.
I’m a constant body weight in all scenarios.
The secret I have found is managing the air in my dry suit. I only use the wing either at depth for trim or on the surface for flotation. Hope this info is helpful. Don’t skip the deco stops.

Finding the right Bc is problem especially should I run out of options. The Hollis 200 is nice, however, the one I used was a rental and did not have a crotch belt. The results were unfavorable due to filling BC to the max and being pushed forward face and head in water slightly below the surface.

I could not meet or maintain trim even for a short period of time as I was constantly inflating and deflating the BC, with no happy medium.

I don't know what I am doing wrong and blaming the equipment only goes so far. The sad thing is there is one day a week practice session so finding a solution is limited to a weekly two-hour session. Plus I'm at the mercy my dive shop's selection and supply of compatible gear.

The results were unfavorable due to filling BC to the max and being pushed forward face and head in water slightly below the surface.

Not quite sure what that means..... .
At the surface you should your head above the surface.... does the bcd have enough lift? Or to much weight?
You have not said what kind of tank you are using..... steel I hope.
Maybe shift hip weights to the tank with cam strap pockets.... or set up a separate camstrap with weights
It is hard to diagnose with out seeing.... maybe a few pictures...

Finding the right Bc is problem especially should I run out of options. The Hollis 200 is nice, however, the one I used was a rental and did not have a crotch belt. The results were unfavorable due to filling BC to the max and being pushed forward face and head in water slightly below the surface.

I could not meet or maintain trim even for a short period of time as I was constantly inflating and deflating the BC, with no happy medium.

I don't know what I am doing wrong and blaming the equipment only goes so far. The sad thing is there is one day a week practice session so finding a solution is limited to a weekly two-hour session. Plus I'm at the mercy my dive shop's selection and supply of compatible gear.
It sounds to me like you were overweighted. If you’re constantly on the inflate/deflate button to try and stay at one depth in the shallows that means that there is excess air in the bc that is expanding and contracting right at the depth where the biggest pressure change happens. To be properly weighted you should be able to just about have no air in your bc at 15’ depth. If there is minimal or no air in your bc at that depth then there is nothing that can expand and contract to cause you to yo-yo. Good breathing control is also part of this.
Another problem with overweighting is that on the surface you’ll need to pump a lot of air into the back inflated BC to stay afloat. Doing that will cause the face plant. If you lessen the added weight you carry, plus add a steel plate, plus add a steel tank, you put more weight behind you which works to set you straighter in the water combined with minimal to no air in the bc and you will be able to sit there vertical or even laid back and comfortable.

Does anybody have experience using a Hollis 200 HD? What can you tell me about it?

I resumed OWC, replacing the Hollis HD 200 with Mares Prestige SLS without the drysuit. By comparison the Mares Prestige BCD was easier to navigate and maintain trim at surface and depth. The Mares prestige is jacket style BCD with side and back inflate air bladder system. I prefer a jacket BCD over a back inflate BCD based on stability and balance.

Another factor in today's training was not using a dry suit as in previous pool sessions.

You are changing too many variables at a time to be able to tell what is going on. Plus it's unlikely you have your trim fully dialed in which is also going to impact how you ride at the surface.

Did you have the surgery?

yep had the surgery, took a long time to fully recover. I noticed I’ve created a large number of posts since joining SB and although all topics were pertinent at the time I feel I have monopolized forum board with my statements and inquiries.

Back
Top Bottom