Haven't settled on the right BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edhjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I had an Aqualung Axiom XL that was determined to big for me, (cylinder weight shift was not able tighten BC to prevent from shifting)

Last night I tried a Hollis 200 HD XL, however, at the surface the back inflate BC did not provide adequate lift to keep head above water, and it pushed my face down and forward. I think, if I inflate my dry suit slightly the added buoyancy will get my head & face out of the water when I surface?

In addition to positive buoyancy, it is hard for me be at trim or neutral buoyancy below the surface using the Hollis BC. The Axiom I had was vest type BC and the Hollis is a back-inflate BC.

Another concern I have is I may be eligible for a breast and stomach reduction procedure. I will learn the details today. If the procedures are covered by my insurance, I will need six months recovery time before I can dive again. So it is important that I complete open water, dry suit and Nitrox computer certification.

I assume you are renting gear? They have no other options to try and test?
Sounds like you are just starting to dive.
I had similar problems thinking stuff didn't feel right and doing weird things... looking back its usually the operator. Not normally the gear.... when you have more experience it's will be easier...
Try using a steel tank on the back inflate. That will get you in a heads up position on the surface. Try different gear but stick with something at some point and figure it out. Trying something new all the time and expecting it to be a silver bullet is not the answer either. It about techniques...
As a new diver I would not be learning with a drysuit until you get figured out. Then add a new skill.
I would suggest a backplate and wing at some point. But not sure that will solve your problem.... practice practice practice .

I live in Canada. I have done ice diving in a 7mm wetsuit.
I still recommend not using a drysuit until
General diving skills are attained.
I am sure it can be done.
I am quite mechanical and problem solving kind of guy.
the trick with this kind of problems is KISS (keep it simple stupid)
Eliminate as much as possible. Then add after you have some skills.

As my dad would say.
It's a poor workman that blames his tools.

I had an Aqualung Axiom XL that was determined to big for me, (cylinder weight shift was not able tighten BC to prevent from shifting)

Last night I tried a Hollis 200 HD XL, however, at the surface the back inflate BC did not provide adequate lift to keep head above water, and it pushed my face down and forward. I think, if I inflate my dry suit slightly the added buoyancy will get my head & face out of the water when I surface?

In addition to positive buoyancy, it is hard for me be at trim or neutral buoyancy below the surface using the Hollis BC. The Axiom I had was vest type BC and the Hollis is a back-inflate BC.

Another concern I have is I may be eligible for a breast and stomach reduction procedure. I will learn the details today. If the procedures are covered by my insurance, I will need six months recovery time before I can dive again. So it is important that I complete open water, dry suit and Nitrox computer certification.

If you're body is going to be going through that many changes, I would definitely hold off on drysuit since you'll need a new suit after that surgery. On the same token, you'll either need a new BC or if you go with a proper backplate and wing you'll at least be able to cut the webbing and not have to deal with that.
If all of your lead was at the front of your body, the back inflates will probably try to tip you forward but that's a configuration problem that the instructors should know how to deal with to prevent from happening. Even with doubles on our backs we can comfortably stay at the surface, one of the keys is to not let your legs "hang" below you but to act like you're sitting on a stool. Bringing your knees up will keep you vertical and also allow you to maneuver easily at the surface.

I still recommend not using a drysuit until
General diving skills are attained..
I won't teach ow students in a wetsuit.

Diving is supposed to be comfortable and fun. Being cold is a significant stress factor and stress inhibits learning.

I'd recommend a GUE dry suit primer using properly fitted dry suit as your body changes.

The trick with back inflates is to not inflate them quite all the way and to sort of lean back.

Not like this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXmb09zBxdUL2HmlLJkkY6eAaegSIGCUGFRw&usqp=CAU.jpg

It's an SDI sponsorship and I'm getting ow, dry suit and Nitrox computer certification all at once.
I was using 28 lbs weights last night to get to the bottom of the pool. It seems like a lot of weight, I wonder if stomach and breast reduction would mean less added weight to get to get below the surface?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom